this forum sucks lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
    Hey Iowa Boy, have you noticed that the older northern fancy guys, the senior adults (35-50), they seem to prefer eagle feather bustles, while the younger guys, the junior adults (18-35) prefer hackles bustles?

-IB
    Well, that's a good observation there IB. Yes, there appears to be a preference perhaps. For example, in the senior men's fancy at 7 clans, 3 of the four northern guys had eagle sets, while the two southern guys had hackles. But two of those northern guys also have hackle sets, so it might not be anything to write home about.

I am glad that 7 clans ended on sunday, monday's weather looked alittle nasty on the weather channel.

Comment

Hey Iowa Boy,

I noticed in Lostsalt's little avatar pic of a bustle that there is a little clump of hackles around his rosette. What is that about?

Comment

Hey Iowa Boy,

I noticed in Lostsalt's little avatar pic of a bustle that there is a little clump of hackles around his rosette. What is that about?
        You have a good eye there Iowa Boy. Well, Lostsalt calls that a "feather nest". It was popular in the past, but nowadays most dancers have decorative tape or yarn/threadwork on their spike extensions. Perhaps Lostsalt is just behind the times, but he is an oldtimer, to maybe he's just stuck in 1983.

IB

Comment

You have a good eye there Iowa Boy. Well, Lostsalt calls that a "feather nest". It was popular in the past, but nowadays most dancers have decorative tape or yarn/threadwork on their spike extensions. Perhaps Lostsalt is just behind the times, but he is an oldtimer, to maybe he's just stuck in 1983.

IB
          Hey Hey now, 1983 was a good year. I'm just waiting form 'em to come back in style.
          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

Hey Iowa Boy,

another question about Lostsalts pic. What kind of rosette is that in his bustles?

Comment

Originally posted by iowa_boy View Post
              hey iowa boy,

another question about lostsalts pic. What kind of rosette is that in his bustles?
              oh no you didn't !!
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

Hey Iowa Boy,

another question about Lostsalts pic. What kind of rosette is that in his bustles?
                Well IB, typically a fancy dancer has a set of matching rosettes, 2 on the back bustles and 2 on the armbustles, with the possibility that the spotlight on the headband matches too, although some dancers today use a geometric shape there (that still matches the designs of the beadwork set, but is just not round in shape). Other dancers have necklaces with rosettes that also match the set as well.

Comment

I wear eagle bustles -- no hackles -- in a more colorful (suspender and belt beadwork is bright) approximation of the sort of old school thing you see in Oklahoma.

That said, I am somewhat offended that I have been grouped in the "elder" category (35+) related to Fancy Dancing: as I have never been able to do the splits or throw things in the air, landing on beat, even in youth.

Mostly, I huff about like George Allen, but he was in his eighties (at least) and I am in my thirties.

I'm sure Iowa Boy has something to say on the subject...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Zeke; 05-27-2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
                    I wear eagle bustles -- no hackles -- in a more colorful (suspender and belt beadwork is bright) approximation of the sort of old school thing you see in Oklahoma.

That said, I am somewhat offended that I have been grouped in the "elder" category (35+) related to Fancy Dancing: as I have never been able to do the splits or throw things in the air, landing on beat, even in youth.

Mostly, I huff about like George Allen, but he was in his eighties (at least) and I am in my thirties.

I'm sure Iowa Boy has something to say on the subject...
                    Well Zeke, youbring up several issues:

1) First, I'm sorry, but you're getting old. But that's a good thing in many ways. As it relates to fancy dancing, it separates you from the young guys who, for the most part, just spin and go wild with footwork. If you are all about the money,then not having to compete with the youngin's give you a chance to get paid instead of gettin' the gate. Because powwows, as you know, are only about the money. Winnebago this year has the jr/sr split at 40 years old, so in their eyes, you are still a jr.

2) You're old school, accept it, just tell people that you are a hobbyist and you're dancing fancy from the early 1980s when the spilts were out of style. Tell people you can do them, but son't because that wouldn't be correct in your interpretation of the era.
                    Last edited by Iowa_Boy; 05-28-2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Hey Iowa Boy,

Let's get serious,what do you think about fancy dancing and the blood issue?

Comment

Hey Iowa Boy,

Let's get serious,what do you think about fancy dancing and the blood issue?
                        Serious issues, hmmmmmmmm, well, Iowa Boy is in favor of blood, apparently I have blood in my veins and it helps me some how to dance, without it I can't dance, so, guess you can say tha Iowa Boy is in favor of blood. And bones. And muscles. And all the body stuff.

Comment

Serious issues, hmmmmmmmm, well, Iowa Boy is in favor of blood, apparently I have blood in my veins and it helps me some how to dance, without it I can't dance, so, guess you can say tha Iowa Boy is in favor of blood. And bones. And muscles. And all the body stuff.
                          I find flatulence to be exceedingly traditional.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
                            I find flatulence to be exceedingly traditional.
                            BAWHAAA HAA HAAA.
                            Hilarious
                            So , when you gonna break that FF Set out? At least 'round here anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by lostsalt View Post
                              BAWHAAA HAA HAAA.
                              Hilarious
                              So , when you gonna break that FF Set out? At least 'round here anyways.
                              Hey Pepperboy, this is my forum, go to "Ask Zeke" if you want to ask Zeke a question. Shouldn't you be beading some rosettes anyway?

Comment

Because of the enormous popularity of my recent posts, I'll be asnwering your viewer mail as much as possible around the summer powwow schedule. Look for upcoming threads on armbustles, rockers/spinners, feather crests, adn whatever else you want to know about he wonderful world of the fancy dance! Pm me your questions today!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X