Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chipster
    replied
    I wudn't say suck, but it has been a lil' lame. Either that or the fancy dancers are kickin' up sum dust & fancy dance fans are too busy watchin' them.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Because of the enormous popularity of my recent posts, I'll be asnwering your viewer mail as much as possible around the summer powwow schedule. Look for upcoming threads on armbustles, rockers/spinners, feather crests, adn whatever else you want to know about he wonderful world of the fancy dance! Pm me your questions today!

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by lostsalt View Post
    BAWHAAA HAA HAAA.
    Hilarious
    So , when you gonna break that FF Set out? At least 'round here anyways.
    Hey Pepperboy, this is my forum, go to "Ask Zeke" if you want to ask Zeke a question. Shouldn't you be beading some rosettes anyway?

Leave a comment:

• lostsalt
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeke View Post
    I find flatulence to be exceedingly traditional.
    BAWHAAA HAA HAAA.
    Hilarious
    So , when you gonna break that FF Set out? At least 'round here anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Zeke
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
    Serious issues, hmmmmmmmm, well, Iowa Boy is in favor of blood, apparently I have blood in my veins and it helps me some how to dance, without it I can't dance, so, guess you can say tha Iowa Boy is in favor of blood. And bones. And muscles. And all the body stuff.
    I find flatulence to be exceedingly traditional.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Hey Iowa Boy,

Let's get serious,what do you think about fancy dancing and the blood issue?
    Serious issues, hmmmmmmmm, well, Iowa Boy is in favor of blood, apparently I have blood in my veins and it helps me some how to dance, without it I can't dance, so, guess you can say tha Iowa Boy is in favor of blood. And bones. And muscles. And all the body stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Hey Iowa Boy,

Let's get serious,what do you think about fancy dancing and the blood issue?

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeke View Post
    I wear eagle bustles -- no hackles -- in a more colorful (suspender and belt beadwork is bright) approximation of the sort of old school thing you see in Oklahoma.

That said, I am somewhat offended that I have been grouped in the "elder" category (35+) related to Fancy Dancing: as I have never been able to do the splits or throw things in the air, landing on beat, even in youth.

Mostly, I huff about like George Allen, but he was in his eighties (at least) and I am in my thirties.

I'm sure Iowa Boy has something to say on the subject...
    Well Zeke, youbring up several issues:

1) First, I'm sorry, but you're getting old. But that's a good thing in many ways. As it relates to fancy dancing, it separates you from the young guys who, for the most part, just spin and go wild with footwork. If you are all about the money,then not having to compete with the youngin's give you a chance to get paid instead of gettin' the gate. Because powwows, as you know, are only about the money. Winnebago this year has the jr/sr split at 40 years old, so in their eyes, you are still a jr.

2) You're old school, accept it, just tell people that you are a hobbyist and you're dancing fancy from the early 1980s when the spilts were out of style. Tell people you can do them, but son't because that wouldn't be correct in your interpretation of the era.
    Last edited by Iowa_Boy; 05-28-2009, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zeke
    replied
    I wear eagle bustles -- no hackles -- in a more colorful (suspender and belt beadwork is bright) approximation of the sort of old school thing you see in Oklahoma.

That said, I am somewhat offended that I have been grouped in the "elder" category (35+) related to Fancy Dancing: as I have never been able to do the splits or throw things in the air, landing on beat, even in youth.

Mostly, I huff about like George Allen, but he was in his eighties (at least) and I am in my thirties.

I'm sure Iowa Boy has something to say on the subject...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Zeke; 05-27-2009, 11:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Hey Iowa Boy,

another question about Lostsalts pic. What kind of rosette is that in his bustles?
    Well IB, typically a fancy dancer has a set of matching rosettes, 2 on the back bustles and 2 on the armbustles, with the possibility that the spotlight on the headband matches too, although some dancers today use a geometric shape there (that still matches the designs of the beadwork set, but is just not round in shape). Other dancers have necklaces with rosettes that also match the set as well.

Leave a comment:

• lostsalt
    replied
    Originally posted by iowa_boy View Post
    hey iowa boy,

another question about lostsalts pic. What kind of rosette is that in his bustles?
    oh no you didn't !!

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Hey Iowa Boy,

another question about Lostsalts pic. What kind of rosette is that in his bustles?

Leave a comment:

• lostsalt
    replied
    You have a good eye there Iowa Boy. Well, Lostsalt calls that a "feather nest". It was popular in the past, but nowadays most dancers have decorative tape or yarn/threadwork on their spike extensions. Perhaps Lostsalt is just behind the times, but he is an oldtimer, to maybe he's just stuck in 1983.

IB
    Hey Hey now, 1983 was a good year. I'm just waiting form 'em to come back in style.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Hey Iowa Boy,

I noticed in Lostsalt's little avatar pic of a bustle that there is a little clump of hackles around his rosette. What is that about?
    You have a good eye there Iowa Boy. Well, Lostsalt calls that a "feather nest". It was popular in the past, but nowadays most dancers have decorative tape or yarn/threadwork on their spike extensions. Perhaps Lostsalt is just behind the times, but he is an oldtimer, to maybe he's just stuck in 1983.

IB

Leave a comment:

• Iowa_Boy
    replied
    Hey Iowa Boy,

I noticed in Lostsalt's little avatar pic of a bustle that there is a little clump of hackles around his rosette. What is that about?

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X