Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Iowa Boy #1

Dear Iowa Boy,

I love to fancy feather dance, but after a long weekend of dancing, my outfit is not comfortable, in fact, it kinda hurts. What's up with that?

Signed,
    painfully fancy

Dear painfully fancy,

Let's see what the Dr. can do for you. First, its impt that your feel comfortable in your outfit, i will help you to dance better and longer, and you don't want to be distracted by a painful shoelace or a safety pin digging into your arm.

Several suggestions have been made over the years here at pwowowwwoww.com. Here's some I can remember, maybe others can add their suggestions as well:

1) elastic on the armbustles. Wow, the pain of the shoelaces around your bicep, and thn they always loosing up over the session. Elastic is a great way to keep your armbustles on, I use two per arm.

2) wider shoelaces can help keep them from digging into you, use them instead of the the thiner ones

3) under your bells wear the top of a soccer sock with the bottom cut off. Get one in a color that matches your outfit. It really helps keep the bells from diggin into your leg.

Hey everybody, lets add to these, how have you made your outfit more comfortable?

Comment

To be more comfortable? DANCE GRASS!

:-P

Comment

Originally posted by jed View Post
        To be more comfortable? DANCE GRASS!

:-P
        that kind of thinking is why your the EX-mayor of Duck Lake. Grass dance. Good grief, all ya gotta do is plant one foot and pose for the last half of the last push-up and you never miss an ending. To easy. Sack it up Jed!

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
          that kind of thinking is why your the EX-mayor of Duck Lake. Grass dance. Good grief, all ya gotta do is plant one foot and pose for the last half of the last push-up and you never miss an ending. To easy. Sack it up Jed!
          Well, I just couldn't handle the flapping my arms and twirling like a top! Gets me too dizzy!

Comment

But Mayor Jed does raise another issue, and that's when fancy dancers get old what do they do?

Iowa Boy can only speak to his area, up here (or down here for you canadians) we have a mix of under 35 and over 35 fancy dancers. The crop of over 35 has several over 40 who are still going strong. We have Crazy Horse Bison and Boye Ladd as well in the Golden Age. But many dancers legs, knees, back gives out. We do see some who instead of retiring change styles. The great Chico Her Many Horses went from fancy to grass to traditional. I remember during my visits to OK seeing many old time fancy guys still out there going as much as they could. With modern medicine, who knows how long some of these guys will last.

Comment

Well, I just couldn't handle the flapping my arms and twirling like a top! Gets me too dizzy!
              what about all these wacked out grass guys flapping there arms. I'm old school, give me Randy P and his style over these grass guys doing the robot.

Comment

But Mayor Jed does raise another issue, and that's when fancy dancers get old what do they do?

Iowa Boy can only speak to his area, up here (or down here for you canadians) we have a mix of under 35 and over 35 fancy dancers. The crop of over 35 has several over 40 who are still going strong. We have Crazy Horse Bison and Boye Ladd as well in the Golden Age. But many dancers legs, knees, back gives out. We do see some who instead of retiring change styles. The great Chico Her Many Horses went from fancy to grass to traditional. I remember during my visits to OK seeing many old time fancy guys still out there going as much as they could. With modern medicine, who knows how long some of these guys will last.
                Don't forget the Whiteman Brothers (Stan and Luke). They are well into their 40's.

I find it hard to imagine dancing any stlye but my own (and I am in the 40+ range now) and it sure is good to not be the oldest guy out there in my category (although sometimes I am).

I say keep on truckin!

Comment

what about all these wacked out grass guys flapping there arms. I'm old school, give me Randy P and his style over these grass guys doing the robot.
                  I concur with you on that one.

Although I did see a Fancy Dancer at Regina do a puppy routine (complete with 3 legged peeing move) in Regina. I think that tops any craziness I ever seen by a Grass Dancer!

Comment

Velcro.....if you can keep it from getting hair, ribbon or thread in it...

Comment

I concur with you on that one.

Although I did see a Fancy Dancer at Regina do a puppy routine (complete with 3 legged peeing move) in Regina. I think that tops any craziness I ever seen by a Grass Dancer!
                      At 7 clans powwow last weekend a bunch of old fancy guys were talking about crazy stuff like that, worst we came up with is acting like he was bowling. I'm not going to mention names, but its on youtube. holy crap! peeing.

but Iowa Boy will admit, I have peed in Regina.

Comment

At 7 clans powwow last weekend a bunch of old fancy guys were talking about crazy stuff like that, worst we came up with is acting like he was bowling. I'm not going to mention names, but its on youtube. holy crap! peeing.

but Iowa Boy will admit, I have peed in Regina.
                        A necessary activity, but in my opinion, not one of the finest fancy dance moves ever created.

4 Bears? (I gotta hit the road in a few hours to make that 1pm Grand Entry tomorrow).

Comment

A necessary activity, but in my opinion, not one of the finest fancy dance moves ever created.

4 Bears? (I gotta hit the road in a few hours to make that 1pm Grand Entry tomorrow).
                          that 1pm grand entry is gonna mess up alot of folks! Enjoy the dance!

Comment

that 1pm grand entry is gonna mess up alot of folks! Enjoy the dance!
                            Could be! I had to clue in my travelling partners.

Will do!

I almost don't wanna go so I can keep current on all your conversations with yourself!

Comment

Could be! I had to clue in my travelling partners.

Will do!

I almost don't wanna go so I can keep current on all your conversations with yourself!
                              I've peed in Pigeon Lake AB, that's the closest I've peed to you perhaps? Or that bowling alley on the south side of Edmonton.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X