Ask Iowa Boy: Armbustles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post

I LOVE the conversations you're having with yourself. Nice refresher from the people here with alternate log ons and they post back and forth as well.

Actually this is a GREAT thread, love the badger(s), pink blanket and all.

Back to the show:
    Does it have to be a THICK paint can lid?
    Good question about the lid, I get them in the paint dept at a hardware store. For you Americans, any Menards, Lowes, Home Depot. Don't know about Canadian store brands. the ones I use say "Leaktite" on them, tehy are stiff, but flexible.
    Attached Files

Comment

Once you get your hackles on and the dowels decorated, then you string them up. Just run your lacing through the bottom holes, and your upper lacing gets 2 mini-pony beads between each dowel. It makes a natural circle, tie together the ends of the laces and center it on the lid. I attach the circle to the lid using a lace that goes over a couple of dowels and then through the lid to the back side and then back through and over a couple of more dowels. i do that all the way around. Once the circle are attached I make two holes to attach the rosette and a couple of holes to attach the elastic.

i just put the elastic around my arm and figure out how tight, then machine sew it, then take that loop and attach it to the back of the lid.

and your done. Post your pics of your completed armbustles and you'll win a prize.
      Attached Files

Comment

That's this weeks topic, let's discuss.

Send in your ideas for next weeks topics! And remember, a well-fed badger is a happy badger.

Comment

How wide is your elastic?

How old is your badger?
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
            That's this weeks topic, let's discuss.

Send in your ideas for next weeks topics! And remember, a well-fed badger is a happy badger.
            Can you give us your take about shamans or powwows in Ohiosylvannia or somewhere.

And why didn't you make these type arm bustles for your badgers before you made that 'ruffle dance' video? LOL

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
              And remember, a well-fed beaver is a happy beaver.
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

5/8 wide elastic, that's wide enough that it doesn't dig in, anything under 1/2" tends to dig into your arms. I use two elastics, one on the top of the bicep and one on the lower bicep.

Here's a pic that shows up close the back side, there's the two elastic bands, teh center shoestring holds on the rosette (I have a diff set of armbustles for each set of bustles, so I just take the rosette off between sessions and put it on the next armbustle)

You can also see my "sewing" of the circle through the lid as well.

I suggest to include your badger when making the armsbustles, print out these instructions and put them on a clipboard for the badger to hold.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lostsalt View Post
                  Don't even go there. Go as Zeke about that stuff.

Comment

OH OK. I think a badger could get away with one elastic, but bigger dancers probably need 2 elastics.
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Recommended length for hackles? And is it alright to feed the badger table scraps?

Comment

Iowa Boy only use 6-8" hackles.

Hackles are an interesting topic, when it comes to price, color, and size. For example, I'm working on two bustle projects right now, one is using a dark red hackle, which is a natural hackle dyed red. they are easy to find. The second project requires a bright red, which is a natural hackle that has been bleached white, then dyed red. Bleached hackles cost more. For the first project I got hackles from 4 different suppliers to get the right sizes and colors. For the second project "Iowa Boy Industries" went through a wholesaler. But, you all know me, I buy in bulk!

Comment

So Iowa Boy, let's see if I got this.....

first, we cut the dowel.
                          Attached Files

Comment

second, we wrap the dowel with electrical tape to match our outfit colors. This set matches a bustle set with black spikes, so I used black tape.
                            Attached Files

Comment

third, I drilled the two holes
                              Attached Files

Comment

Fourth, I attached the first row of hackle (the outside row)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.