No announcement yet.

Ask Iowa Boy: Armbustles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still wondering how you attach the feathers...are they the pre-strung hackles?
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose

I'm still wondering how you attach the feathers...are they the pre-strung hackles?
      That's a touchy subject, every bustle maker has their own quirks.

Some keep the hackle strung and measure. So, for example, they would measure an inch and cut. Then they would put glue on the inside of the "inch of hackles" and then wrap it around the dowel. Then they would take a heavy thread and wrap around the outside.

Some pull the hackles off the string and wrap them on individually.

I have my own way that everyone makes fun of, so I stopped talking about it.

Comment

OK, to each their own. The little secret's behing the prism tape, eh?

I was just wondering since you have SQUARE dowels. They don't even sell strung hackles around here, not that I can't string my own, I guess.

There's always the option of using round dowels and flattening the edges where they'll fit together. D'OH! I'm giving out MY secrets now. Feel free to make fun.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
          OK, to each their own. The little secret's behing the prism tape, eh?

I was just wondering since you have SQUARE dowels. They don't even sell strung hackles around here, not that I can't string my own, I guess.

There's always the option of using round dowels and flattening the edges where they'll fit together. D'OH! I'm giving out MY secrets now. Feel free to make fun.
          The thing wit the flat dowels is, that when you sandwich the ring between the plastic paint can lid and the rosette, its a snug fit. With round dowels their is movement. Its not a big thing, its just easier to make them and put them together using square dowels.

Comment

Almost forgot the most impt reason to use square dowels, it makes is sooooo much easier to drill the holes.

Comment

Oh, OK! I'm on a mission to find square dowels now.
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

if you can't find square dowels, you can probably take an exacto knife and shave off a little to create a flat surface. That would help with to keep it from rolling as bad. Just don't get over zealous and slice yourself. lol Which I've done a couple times lately.
                sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                [email protected]

Comment

The big chain stores have them in with all the other wooden dowels. we have a small ACE hardware that doesn't have them but our Menards does. So look at the big hardware stores.

Comment

Places like Michaels have them. Try a hobby shop in your area.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                      Places like Michaels have them. Try a hobby shop in your area.

Purdy sure the Hobby Lobby still has 'em. JD you will be @ Fort Wash this year ......won't you???
                      "I'd rather be @ a POW-WOW!"

Comment

What's the next "ask Iowa Boy topic"? Anything you guys want to talk about next?

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                          What's the next "ask Iowa Boy topic"? Anything you guys want to talk about next?
                          The next 'Ask Iowa Boy' topic should be...How long have you been dancing, what got u started and how long did it take you to get your outfit to where you wanted it?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

The next 'Ask Iowa Boy' topic should be...How long have you been dancing, what got u started and how long did it take you to get your outfit to where you wanted it?
                            I was told my an elder that your outfit is never done. There is always something you can change, add to it, redo, etc. I retire outfits when they are not in style anymore and can't be brought up to date quickly, some get a major overall, some don't. Some are given to relatives, others are in my closet. I have two fully-beaded apron and yoke sets sitting in my closet I don't wear anymore. I've got two I wear now, and another I'm working on. My outfits are never done.

Comment

That's understood. Outfits are an ongoing thing. Did you start dancing in a beaded outfit?

And what would you tell someone who was interested in starting to Fancy Dance?

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

That's understood. Outfits are an ongoing thing. Did you start dancing in a beaded outfit?

And what would you tell someone who was interested in starting to Fancy Dance?
                                I believe that I was born with a fully-beaded set on. Wait, I wasn't, oh, well I should have been.

I'm old enough to have started dancing when the beaded outfits were semi-rare, so I didn't get my first beaded set until I was 14. Started with plain material, although even the first set had a little beadwork around the sides of the apron.

Biggest problem with people wanting to start fancy dancing, is that it is something you can't start quickly. even if you don't have a full-beaded set, its still takes time to get all the pieces (even if you don't make them). its not something you can say "I'm going to fancy dance in 2 months."

Most fancy dancers are sons or relatives of other fancy dancers, things are handed down, eventually replaced by new things.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.