Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Iowa Boy

Dear Iowa Boy,

I haven't competed for along time. As you know, the powwows here in Ohio are the bestest, and I want to do real good. My question is, "how should I dance in a contest?

signed,

Ohio Boy

Thanks for the question Ohio Boy.

If you have 10 dancers in a contest, you will probably have 10 different ideas of what to do. But I have a few suggestions, maybe others can share as well (hint, hint).

#1: see where the judges are, if you can't see them, they can't see you. you don't want to dance your Ohio rear off and not be seen, so the first rule is "be aware of your surroundings." That means, be aware of where the judges are (they may be moving around) and be aware of where the other dancers are. Don't run into anybody else. Just because you are dancing in "the zone" doesn't mean you lose control and spin around like a pinball.

#2: There are two basic ways to fancy dance contest (I'm reaaaaalllly generalizing here).
    First way is to constantly move, doing your moves moving in a motion circling the arbor.

Second way is to stop in one place, do a move or two, then basically move to another spot.

There are pros and cons for each.

What you do will also depend on the shape you are in, and your knowledge of the song as well.

Good luck!

Comment

Hackle Bustles

Dear Iowa Boy;

Who is credited with inventing hackle bustles? Who is the first person to hang horse hair on bustles? and who hung flag tape first??

Wondering in North Dakota.
      Sahnish

"There is nothing more dangerous than ignorance in action."

Comment

Originally posted by Sahnish View Post
        Dear Iowa Boy;

Who is credited with inventing hackle bustles? Who is the first person to hang horse hair on bustles? and who hung flag tape first??

Wondering in North Dakota.
        Good question my Arikara neighbor,

Hackles on bustles began in the late 1940s, either 48 or 49 with a Ponca named Rudy New Moon. The first hackles were yellow and white ones. He showed up at White Eagle with them and was very secretive about them. Of course, they caught on quickly after that.

Comment

Ohio Boy, I would also suggest that you plant your self inbetween two of the judges or pick one to if they are spread out real good. If you watch some of the young adults who constantly place, you will notice them do this. Of course the reason you do this is to block any other dancers from the judges sight, and show them that YOU REALLY WANT TO WIN!
          It works. Also try looking them in the eye too, while dancing and especially when you line up.. so they know you seen them judging and give them the look to let them know you want the hook-up (while subliminally letting them know that if you don't place you know who to talk to about it!

Comment

I just buy lots of coffees.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
              Thanks for the question Ohio Boy.

If you have 10 dancers in a contest, you will probably have 10 different ideas of what to do. But I have a few suggestions, maybe others can share as well (hint, hint).

#1: see where the judges are, if you can't see them, they can't see you. you don't want to dance your Ohio rear off and not be seen, so the first rule is "be aware of your surroundings." That means, be aware of where the judges are (they may be moving around) and be aware of where the other dancers are. Don't run into anybody else. Just because you are dancing in "the zone" doesn't mean you lose control and spin around like a pinball.

#2: There are two basic ways to fancy dance contest (I'm reaaaaalllly generalizing here).
              First way is to constantly move, doing your moves moving in a motion circling the arbor.

Second way is to stop in one place, do a move or two, then basically move to another spot.

There are pros and cons for each.

What you do will also depend on the shape you are in, and your knowledge of the song as well.

Good luck!
              Good advice Iowa_Boy!

Does this advice apply to the surrounding states?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                Good advice Iowa_Boy!

Does this advice apply to the surrounding states?
                Its good in 35 of the fifty states as well as in Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario.

When in Canada, just replace your Starbucks moves with Tim Horton's moves, and you'll win every time!

Comment

Originally posted by jed View Post
                  I just buy lots of coffees.
                  so I won't be seeing you at Sisseton today?

Comment

Ermineskin for me....and Tim's.

Comment

Dear Iowa Boy

Dear Iowa Boy;

I was reading in another forum that if you drop a part of your outfit you are suppose to disqualify yourself from the contest. I was wondering where these "rules" are wrote down at? Who wrote these rules? Where can I get a copy of these rules? Out here in North Dakota we are kinda behind times, because we don't even have any rules written down?

Speaking of rules, last week end my friend and I were talking about where "numbers" and the "point system" come from? Any thoughts?

Signed;

Curious in North Dakota...
                      Sahnish

Comment

Originally posted by Sahnish View Post
                        Dear Iowa Boy;

I was reading in another forum that if you drop a part of your outfit you are suppose to disqualify yourself from the contest. I was wondering where these "rules" are wrote down at? Who wrote these rules? Where can I get a copy of these rules? Out here in North Dakota we are kinda behind times, because we don't even have any rules written down?

Speaking of rules, last week end my friend and I were talking about where "numbers" and the "point system" come from? Any thoughts?

Signed;

Curious in North Dakota...
                        Good morning my Arikara friend,

Rules for powwows, unwritten and written have been around forever. Here's some written ones:

37th Annual Ann Arbor Pow Wow - Dancer Rules

The Gathering of Nations - Contest Powwow Fairness Doctrine

http://www.gatheringofnations.com/po...%20dancers.pdf

NASC - Pow-Wow Rules

*did you see that at Gathering of Nations, the dropping of any piece of your outfit will NOT get you disqualified? Only the dropping of an eagle feather will get you disqualified for that session.

*most written rules also talk about not judging people your related to. How about people your really, really good friends with?

*the Utah State Univ powwow had a rule of no gum. What?

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                          Good morning my Arikara friend,

Rules for powwows, unwritten and written have been around forever. Here's some written ones:

37th Annual Ann Arbor Pow Wow - Dancer Rules

The Gathering of Nations - Contest Powwow Fairness Doctrine

NASC - Pow-Wow Rules

*did you see that at Gathering of Nations, the dropping of any piece of your outfit will NOT get you disqualified? Only the dropping of an eagle feather will get you disqualified for that session.

*most written rules also talk about not judging people your related to. How about people your really, really good friends with?

*the Utah State Univ powwow had a rule of no gum. What?

Those are some rite smart rules. Remind me never to go to Utah state pow wow, I can't dance without chewing gum. I like this rule too. "NO disorderly conduct, excessive noise, or unruly behavior will be tolerated at HOST HOTELS!" If you are going to be unruly or disorderly, DON'T and I repeat DON'T wear your number.

So what about "numbers" and the "point system?" When did it start out in Iowa, who "invented" it? What about spot checks. That's the fool I'd like to meet. You KNOW that fool wasn't a dancer!!
                          Sahnish

Comment

I would like to meet up with the spot check person AND the parade at 10 am after running contests till 2 in the morning person!

Comment

I liked it at Mantio-ahbee last year, they had that supermarket checkout scanner thingy and they were scanning everyone's #'s.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.