Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Iowa Boy #236

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ask Iowa Boy #236

    Hey Iowa Boy,

    I got several questions, first, why doesn't anybody post anymore? Second, what's up with fancy dancing?

    sincerely,

    recently returned fancy dancer from northern SK now living in AB

  • #2
    Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
    Hey Iowa Boy,

    I got several questions, first, why doesn't anybody post anymore? Second, what's up with fancy dancing?

    sincerely,

    recently returned fancy dancer from northern SK now living in AB
    Thanks for the question, "recently returned fancy dancer",

    First, every fall this site seems to lag. I know that when the summer is over many dancers have to go to work or have increased committments to family ro ceremonies, and they have less time to hang around here. I know I spend more time on facebook, learning all about strange things people do with Big Macs, their obsession with Tim hortons, who's exercising, who's on vacation, who saw a bear in their yard, who's in love with who (never facebook friend teenage boys, boy that didn't sound good did it?), who wants what for christmas, etc. It's soooooo damn fascinating. I wish people would post more pics of the stuff their working on, but instead we get pics of people standing in line to see Twilight (whatever that is?).

    What's up with fancy dancing? Fancy dancing is up i tell you! A couple of years ago I was worried, but there's alot of young boys out there fancy dancing, the future looks good. We've got a good young group that just entered into the adult categories, hopefully judges will give them some respect

    Every year we lose guys to injuries, age, McDonald's (aye!). Its good to hear of people coming back to the circle, so welcome back and keep it up!

    -IB

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey IB,

      why do you think there's alot of little fancy dudes?

      signed,

      Fancy Dancer not living in Ohio or Massachusetts

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
        Hey IB,

        why do you think there's alot of little fancy dudes?

        signed,

        Fancy Dancer not living in Ohio or Massachusetts
        I think family has alot to do with it. We are seeing another generation coming up, of sons, or even grandsons, of former fancy dancers. There are some very strong fancy dance families, and their are passing the traditions (and outfit parts) on in their families.

        -IB

        Comment


        • #5
          Personally, I dont see alot of real fancy dancing anymore in the arena...alot of hopping, sliding, skipping.....flash and show....
          I admit, fancy dancing is a showman category, but they have lost the very essence of fancy dancing...the footwork, the knowledge of the songs...nobody can ruffle dance anymore. Nobody can just shake like RG and Woogie...nobody does the footwork and hits every beat and makes the stops that make the crowd just roar. In fancy, the whole outfit should just dance...from head to toe...watch the rockers of some of the new ones coming up...theyr either spinners or they are still when the song picks up...the whole outfit should be in beat with the song.
          I watch for these everytime I go to a pow wow. I listen to the songs. Even the songs made for fancy are more flash than rhythm nowadays, speed isnt the only aspect of fancy dancing....I have seen alot of fancydancing in my years. I come from Oklahoma, have traveled the northern pow wows before casino came into the picture.. . I want to see the footwork, the regalia, the knowledge of the song, the correct song for this dance....when you want to know about any subject, you go back to the origin to find that answer.
          I am thankful for my grandparents, my parents, my brothers, my aunties and uncles, my children, my companion and all of those who influenced me to be strong and proud of being who I am and where I come from. Knowledge is power

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
            I think family has alot to do with it. We are seeing another generation coming up, of sons, or even grandsons, of former fancy dancers. There are some very strong fancy dance families, and their are passing the traditions (and outfit parts) on in their families.

            -IB
            Or they just finally realized how kick-*** fancy dancers are.
            We're the most awesome-est !!!

            Just sayin'
            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sltate View Post
              Personally, I dont see alot of real fancy dancing anymore in the arena...alot of hopping, sliding, skipping.....flash and show....
              I admit, fancy dancing is a showman category, but they have lost the very essence of fancy dancing...the footwork, the knowledge of the songs...nobody can ruffle dance anymore. Nobody can just shake like RG and Woogie...nobody does the footwork and hits every beat and makes the stops that make the crowd just roar. In fancy, the whole outfit should just dance...from head to toe...watch the rockers of some of the new ones coming up...theyr either spinners or they are still when the song picks up...the whole outfit should be in beat with the song.
              I watch for these everytime I go to a pow wow. I listen to the songs. Even the songs made for fancy are more flash than rhythm nowadays, speed isnt the only aspect of fancy dancing....I have seen alot of fancydancing in my years. I come from Oklahoma, have traveled the northern pow wows before casino came into the picture.. . I want to see the footwork, the regalia, the knowledge of the song, the correct song for this dance....when you want to know about any subject, you go back to the origin to find that answer.
              that's my biggest complaint as well. Just to pick on the young guys, they're all flash, and doing footwork from some rap video. the style has changed dramatically, and I for one, am not too happy. I see stuff that just make's me shake my head. Esp up north here, I like guys who dance with their full bodies, the entire outfit, but instead they shake there hips and run in place.

              singing is the same way. Most young groups think that fancy means a trick stop song or fast. Not like it used to be.

              AMEN.

              Comment


              • #8
                Dear Iowa Boy,

                Why did you add #236 to this thread title?

                And When are you going to fancy dance in Arizona or New Mexico?

                Thanks,
                Kiyaanii mom (Just a fancy dance watcher...)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
                  Dear Iowa Boy,

                  Why did you add #236 to this thread title?

                  And When are you going to fancy dance in Arizona or New Mexico?

                  Thanks,
                  Kiyaanii mom (Just a fancy dance watcher...)
                  this is the 236th ask Iowa Boy question. We're celebrating our 25th anniversary of this feature next month.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
                    Dear Iowa Boy,

                    Why did you add #236 to this thread title?

                    And When are you going to fancy dance in Arizona or New Mexico?

                    Thanks,
                    Kiyaanii mom (Just a fancy dance watcher...)
                    Iowa Boy will powwow anywhere except for Massachusetts!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Iowa Boy,

                      Have you ever thought about dancing Traditional?


                      Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?


                      "When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

                      Mr. Rossie Freeman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                        Iowa Boy,

                        Have you ever thought about dancing Traditional?
                        with all these new fancy dancers, maybe I'll have to. Wonder wear I can get some yarn......

                        Comment

                        Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                        Related Topics

                        Collapse

                        • PhxThunder
                          Ex-Fancy Dancers Turned Tradish?
                          by PhxThunder
                          I need some advice from ex-fancy dancers who made the transition to Traditional. I am starting to get a little older and fancy dancing is beginning to hurt my back. I danced this past weekend and I'm still feeling the effects today(Friday). I want to do this properly. I was taught Fancy back in the...
                          12-09-2005, 11:04 AM
                        • grayback
                          Female Fancy Feather Dancers?
                          by grayback
                          Howdy folks:

                          Am new to the boards, and am looking for a little help you veteran dancers out there might be able to give me. Back in
                          the mid-1990's, I went to college with a gal from Sisseton,
                          SD, and we were working together on the college powwow we hold in May on our campus....
                          03-08-2002, 06:38 PM
                        • butterfli123
                          Future of women's fancy
                          by butterfli123
                          I have been dancing since I was about 13 yrs old, although didn't really get into the circuit until several years ago. During that time I have noticed a decreased interest in fancy... is it just me? Most of my younger female relatives, who do not dance, said that they would be interested in traditional...
                          09-19-2001, 06:28 PM
                        • Pvt Butter
                          women's fancy bustle at Red Earth
                          by Pvt Butter
                          is this really happening? Who's the comp???
                          05-28-2007, 11:14 PM
                        • WhoMe
                          Original Fancy Dancing
                          by WhoMe
                          Fancy dancing has been around for almost 100 years now. It has forgone a drastic change since it's humble beginnings.

                          The Ponca Tribe is credited with it's origin.

                          The modern Chicken and Round Bustle Dancers resemble early fancy dancers in both style and regalia.
                          ...
                          06-08-2005, 11:32 AM

                        Trending

                        Collapse

                        There are no results that meet this criteria.

                        Sidebar Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X