Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Feet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two Feet

    Awhile back, two rules that fancy dancers were judged by were, stopping with two feet on the ground and keeping rhythm with the beat of the drum.

    This is not a rule nowadays for many reasons and no longer is adhered to. Anyone care to discuss?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

  • #2
    There alot of things that has gone out the window in contest dancing. You rarely see anyone disqualifying themselves for over stepping.

    The one place where they try to stick to the "ol skool" rules of dancing is White Eagle.
    sigpic

    Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
    [email protected]

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
      There alot of things that has gone out the window in contest dancing. You rarely see anyone disqualifying themselves for over stepping.

      The one place where they try to stick to the "ol skool" rules of dancing is White Eagle.
      cuz the kewl kids luv da poppin and lockin shiite and actually not learning how to dance.

      can't stand that break dance stuff, it terms of crazy stuff, i do think its kinda cool when DWB does the stuff off the center pole at Prairie Island

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
        There alot of things that has gone out the window in contest dancing. You rarely see anyone disqualifying themselves for over stepping.

        The one place where they try to stick to the "ol skool" rules of dancing is White Eagle.

        ndn,

        I just spoke at the British Museum about the relationship the modern powwow has to warrior society ceremonies. I also gave another presentation about the origin of the men's fancy dance.

        Part of this second presentation mentioned the home of the men's fancy dance championship originating and continuing to be held in White Eagle, Oklahoma. I also noted that some may argue that more fancy dancers from more diverse regions compete at the Gathering of Nations.

        Which has legitimate claim to be called The World's Fancy Dance Championship, Ponca Powwow in White Eagle, Oklahoma or the Gatherning of Nations?

        What do you think?

        Anybody?
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
          ndn,

          I just spoke at the British Museum about the relationship the modern powwow has to warrior society ceremonies. I also gave another presentation about the origin of the men's fancy dance.

          Part of this second presentation mentioned the home of the men's fancy dance championship originating and continuing to be held in White Eagle, Oklahoma. I also noted that some may argue that more fancy dancers from more diverse regions compete at the Gathering of Nations.

          Which has legitimate claim to be called The World's Fancy Dance Championship, Ponca Powwow in White Eagle, Oklahoma or the Gatherning of Nations?

          What do you think?

          Anybody?
          southern style (or better yet Oklahoma fancy feather) = White Eagle
          non-OK southern and northern is debateble. Yes GON calls themselves the world championships but so have other powwows. My prob with gathering is that its early in the season. I like that white eagle is in August. I consider the home of the fancy dance to be Haskell, where the first world champiopnship was held, which of course, you know, when gus tied with McCellan and won the tie break, thuis giving the right to hold the championship to the Ponca.

          You'll just have to wait for my book for the rest.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
            ndn,

            I just spoke at the British Museum about the relationship the modern powwow has to warrior society ceremonies. I also gave another presentation about the origin of the men's fancy dance.

            Part of this second presentation mentioned the home of the men's fancy dance championship originating and continuing to be held in White Eagle, Oklahoma. I also noted that some may argue that more fancy dancers from more diverse regions compete at the Gathering of Nations.

            Which has legitimate claim to be called The World's Fancy Dance Championship, Ponca Powwow in White Eagle, Oklahoma or the Gatherning of Nations?

            What do you think?

            Anybody?
            Just for the simple fact that that Ponca is going on its 134th year of having the World Fancy Dance Championship should make it a clear choice. I've had various fancers ask me questions about Ponca Pow-Wow. They all want to know what its like but very few want to go there. They all seemed to be afraid of the strict rules enforced. Most of them are afraid of embarrassing themsleves by getting disqualified.

            I have danced at both GoN & at Ponca Pow-Wow. In my opinion GoN cannot compare to the aura and feeling that goes with Ponca Pow-Wow.
            sigpic

            Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
            [email protected]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
              Just for the simple fact that that Ponca is going on its 134th year of having the World Fancy Dance Championship should make it a clear choice. I've had various fancers ask me questions about Ponca Pow-Wow. They all want to know what its like but very few want to go there. They all seemed to be afraid of the strict rules enforced. Most of them are afraid of embarrassing themsleves by getting disqualified.

              I have danced at both GoN & at Ponca Pow-Wow. In my opinion GoN cannot compare to the aura and feeling that goes with Ponca Pow-Wow.
              guys up here are afraid to go down there, but mostly because of the songs. We just don't know their songs and that would doom any one. you really have to know those songs and without being there all the time and singing and dancing, you don;t have a chance. Is the winner of the Ponca powwow the best southern style fancy dancer?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                guys up here are afraid to go down there, but mostly because of the songs. We just don't know their songs and that would doom any one. you really have to know those songs and without being there all the time and singing and dancing, you don;t have a chance. Is the winner of the Ponca powwow the best southern style fancy dancer?
                This past year the champion was George Alexander and I think he may fit that bill. It was his 7th time to win it. No need to be afraid about the songs... lol The songs don't change much, you hear the same songs every year.
                sigpic

                Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                [email protected]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
                  This past year the champion was George Alexander and I think he may fit that bill. It was his 7th time to win it. No need to be afraid about the songs... lol The songs don't change much, you hear the same songs every year.
                  but how many of those songs did we here last year up here. And how well do you have to know those songs to really jam them at White Eagle?

                  I mean crap, its bad enough up here with new songs and new trick songs ever weekend it seems like. I'll understep or overstep at 7 clans (most of the people will give me **** about it) but I ain't going to the hallowed grounds of white eagle park and doing it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                    but how many of those songs did we here last year up here. And how well do you have to know those songs to really jam them at White Eagle?

                    I mean crap, its bad enough up here with new songs and new trick songs ever weekend it seems like. I'll understep or overstep at 7 clans (most of the people will give me **** about it) but I ain't going to the hallowed grounds of white eagle park and doing it.
                    LOL.... dust off you're copies of "The Contest is On" Vol I & II.....
                    sigpic

                    Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                    [email protected]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
                      LOL.... dust off you're copies of "The Contest is On" Vol I & II.....
                      they're on my ipod and my laptop right now. Just afraid of new stuff. back in 2005 maybe, sizzortail came to shakopee, during the fancy dance special they made me their beotch!~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                        they're on my ipod and my laptop right now. Just afraid of new stuff. back in 2005 maybe, sizzortail came to shakopee, during the fancy dance special they made me their beotch!~
                        LOL.... dang, I missed that year...
                        sigpic

                        Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                        [email protected]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
                          LOL.... dang, I missed that year...
                          a friend took a pic, in it 4 or 5 of us are stopped and the other 6 or 7 are moving. I tell people I was right!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've competed at both Gathering and Ponca Powwow fancy dance contests.

                            At Gathering you normally get two songs from whatever drum group is in rotation. One Northern and one Southern. Because it is the Gathering, a lot of drums want to debut their new contest songs. If someone drops something, over/understeps and does not disqualify themselves, they still have a chance to place or even win. Spinning and innovative moves seem to be accepted and even encouraged. The winners usually collect their money in their street cloths.

                            At White Eagle, in the finals they had us dance individually to a medium and then a fast Ponca song. Their judges look for footwork, head coordination and especially stopping at the last beat of the drum. Most dancers disqualify themselves out of respect for honor if they drop something or over/understep. If they don't the judges will disqualify them. The winners are usually still fully dressed and in addition to receiving cash, they also receive a trophy from the McDonald family.
                            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ya mean this one.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Sizzortail_Thurman
                                Oldstyle fancy feather
                                by Sizzortail_Thurman
                                was wondering what everyone thought about "oldstyle" fancy. in recent years ive noticed the popularity of "oldstyle" catagories making a comeback or not really a comeback but noticed alot more dancers dancing this style. even noticed really young kids as well. and i think thats really...
                                01-27-2010, 12:50 AM
                              • sltate
                                Southern Fancy?
                                by sltate
                                I just returned from Gathering and I was disappointed to say the least...in the southern fancy category. Not the winners, but the dance style itself.
                                I took my mom out there and we were watching the pow wow and she made me take a second look at this category. She made me go waaaaayyy back and...
                                04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
                              • MuzeBl
                                What's it about?
                                by MuzeBl
                                What is the origin of the fancy feather dance?
                                What's it all about?
                                What are there any stories/legends associated with it?
                                05-01-2002, 11:34 AM
                              • WhoMe
                                Original Fancy Dancing
                                by WhoMe
                                Fancy dancing has been around for almost 100 years now. It has forgone a drastic change since it's humble beginnings.

                                The Ponca Tribe is credited with it's origin.

                                The modern Chicken and Round Bustle Dancers resemble early fancy dancers in both style and regalia.
                                ...
                                06-08-2005, 11:32 AM
                              • WhoMe
                                Let's talk tail dance sticks
                                by WhoMe
                                Tail dance sticks weren't originally for everyone. In days past, they were carried by men designated as "tail dancers and former tail dancers." It was a part of their designated position within their tribal "Man Dance Ceremonials."

                                Today, it seems most straight dancer's...
                                12-16-2005, 04:16 PM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X