Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oldstyle fancy feather

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oldstyle fancy feather

    was wondering what everyone thought about "oldstyle" fancy. in recent years ive noticed the popularity of "oldstyle" catagories making a comeback or not really a comeback but noticed alot more dancers dancing this style. even noticed really young kids as well. and i think thats really awesome. but here in oklahoma a few places have started having oldstyle fancy contests. i wasnt fortunate to witness some of the great fancy dancers from oklahoma dance. i just remember watchin billy mcclellan, henry mcclellan, wade weller, rg harris, lloyd gwyin, george alexander, mike gabbard, mike whitecloud, guy ray pocawatchit, and "lil"rod pocawatchit. those are the guys i remember watching and learning from. 2 years ago i pulled out my dads old bustles and fixed them up along with a feather roach. i danced, i guess you could say the way i pictured oldstyle. i got a lot of compliments and was encouraged to dance that style more. since then i even found my uncles old bustles and started dancing oldstyle a lot more. granted the songs are harder for me to keep up with dancing oldstyle. i hafta more or less start dancing contemp style. but none the less i've had a lot of fun dancing fancy again. i've been thinkin about dancing fancy more now days at out of state powwows. i dunno what kinda of responce it will get. i know some of the older dancers can relate and some of the younger might be like, dang this poor guys outfit! lol i also seen some oooollld photos of old fancy dancers that look like round bustle dancers. even seen photos of sum old relatives that i coulda swore were chicken dancers. but just wondering what peeps that read these topics on here think about oldstyle fancy. i know oklahoma isnt the only place that has legends of fancy dance. i think it be cool as heck one day to see a lot of old style fancy dancers jamming out to songs they can dance too.

  • #2
    that's awesome! that is something i would like to see more of.

    come one and let me see you shake your tailfeather! twistin'! shake it shake it shake it shake it baby!

    Comment


    • #3
      I like the look of the old school 1920s-1950s that your talking about, I could live without going back to the 70s. Remember each region has a different idea of "old style fancy" after the original style came out of OK in the 1920s. "Original style" may work better for that OK look from the 1920s.

      You look good, reallllll good.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        as i was walking to work enjoying this beautiful 73 degree day, i was thinking that I really don;t want to go back to wearing the breastplate with no shirt again. So don't bring back the 70s.

        What? you say its not 73 degrees out?, its -2. Well then, I'm def not going shirtless!

        Comment


        • #5
          Scissortail,

          Alot you said I agree with. I also like the picture of you in your 1920's-30's outfit!

          A major question came to mind... THE JUDGING.

          Few people, if any, are still alive that remember the men's fancy dance in it's infancy. Most judges today are 20-60 years old. In Oklahoma you have a better chance of finding a higher percentage of knowledgable judges who have observed first-hand, fancy dance evolution.

          What about judges out-of-state? Are there a lot of knowledgable judges who can perhaps know the differences of "old school dancers" of the 50's, 60's or 70's?

          In order to fancy dance, you have to be somewhat in shape. Therefore most consistant fancy dancers are under the age of 40. How would they be able to interpret dancers of the 1960's or earlier? Should a dancer interpreting 1940's fancy dance warrant more "style points" than someone interpreting a early 1970's style fancy dance?

          Should there be rules established that are consistent to the original rules of fancy dancing including: Keeping time with the beat of the drum, must stop at the last beat of the drum and a major article falling off the contestant are grounds for disqualification?
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

          Comment


          • #6
            I know when you go into Canada, their idea of old style is alot different. I went to a pow-wow recently in Sask, where they had contemp & oldstyle split. In my opinion there was only one dancer in the old style category that danced old style, while the rest should have been dancing with the contemporary. The one dancer focused on footwork and dancing, while all the others was into spinning. Unfortunatley the one old style dancers didn't place either.
            sigpic

            Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
            [email protected]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
              I know when you go into Canada, their idea of old style is alot different. I went to a pow-wow recently in Sask, where they had contemp & oldstyle split. In my opinion there was only one dancer in the old style category that danced old style, while the rest should have been dancing with the contemporary. The one dancer focused on footwork and dancing, while all the others was into spinning. Unfortunatley the one old style dancers didn't place either.
              Tim Horton's makes me spin alot too!

              Whome is right, I think that the time depth of fancy plus the regional variations and changes creates a plethora of "old style". Perhaps it works with jingle and fancy shawl, but I don;t like it in fancy.

              Don;t get me started on grass, remember how much I hate the bird flapping!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                Tim Horton's makes me spin alot too!

                Whome is right, I think that the time depth of fancy plus the regional variations and changes creates a plethora of "old style". Perhaps it works with jingle and fancy shawl, but I don;t like it in fancy.

                Don;t get me started on grass, remember how much I hate the bird flapping!
                No one could do the "bird" like Morris Day. lol
                sigpic

                Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                [email protected]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post


                  No one could do the "bird" like Morris Day. lol
                  Morris Day is a chicken dancer, check out his mirror board (and Jerome too)!
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                    Perhaps it works with jingle and fancy shawl, but I don;t like it in fancy!

                    Iowa,

                    Unless specific perimeters are defined for what is "old style fancy dance" and how it will be judged, I would have to agree with you.
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Today, the concept of "ol' style" for most dancers is more dressing the part then the steps. Just to "jump in" & see if you can make some extra gas money.


                      Always cool to see this style of contest, you see some of the other categories have their ol' style contests. Why not ol' style fancy, to honor those boys who have been kickin' it up from years past. I believe Tulsa Powwow had one & the dance in Copan, OK also had one. Hope they have them this year as well.


                      Just don't drink too much Tim Horton's before the ol' style fancy contest, so you can limit the spinning.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by chipster View Post
                        Today, the concept of "ol' style" for most dancers is more dressing the part then the steps. Just to "jump in" & see if you can make some extra gas money.


                        Always cool to see this style of contest, you see some of the other categories have their ol' style contests. Why not ol' style fancy, to honor those boys who have been kickin' it up from years past. I believe Tulsa Powwow had one & the dance in Copan, OK also had one. Hope they have them this year as well.


                        Just don't drink too much Tim Horton's before the ol' style fancy contest, so you can limit the spinning.
                        Have more respect for Tim Horton's.... Its always fresh, just like Iowa_Boy. lol

                        sigpic

                        Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                        [email protected]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
                          Have more respect for Tim Horton's.... Its always fresh, just like Iowa_Boy. lol

                          man, I just spit my ice tea all over my computer, damn.

                          I do like the ladies, the ladies just don;t like me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                            man, I just spit my ice tea all over my computer, damn.

                            I do like the ladies, the ladies just don;t like me.
                            Work on yer old style and they will come around... lol
                            sigpic

                            Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
                            [email protected]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
                              Work on yer old style and they will come around... lol
                              I'm thinking "classic" instead of "old style". Like old coke and new coke, everyone knows old coke is better.

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • powwowdancer7
                                Modern Fancy Dance
                                by powwowdancer7
                                I want to discuss modern regalia making and dancing. Any input is welcome.
                                01-25-2009, 09:32 PM
                              • bwhite
                                Old Style Fancy
                                by bwhite
                                Interesting......

                                Maybe one day you may see some of the top dancers competing at Denver March, Schemitzun and other big powows incorporating parts of "retro" outfits into their own.

                                Now, the eagle bustles have made a comeback, so who's to say that much older...
                                02-07-2002, 12:57 PM
                              • WhoMe
                                Original Fancy Dancing
                                by WhoMe
                                Fancy dancing has been around for almost 100 years now. It has forgone a drastic change since it's humble beginnings.

                                The Ponca Tribe is credited with it's origin.

                                The modern Chicken and Round Bustle Dancers resemble early fancy dancers in both style and regalia.
                                ...
                                06-08-2005, 11:32 AM
                              • butterfli123
                                Future of women's fancy
                                by butterfli123
                                I have been dancing since I was about 13 yrs old, although didn't really get into the circuit until several years ago. During that time I have noticed a decreased interest in fancy... is it just me? Most of my younger female relatives, who do not dance, said that they would be interested in traditional...
                                09-19-2001, 06:28 PM
                              • Pvt Butter
                                women's fancy bustle at Red Earth
                                by Pvt Butter
                                is this really happening? Who's the comp???
                                05-28-2007, 11:14 PM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X