This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
    Every tribe has some origin story for singing and dancing.
    The obvious query is how many of them, related to pan-Indian Fancy Dancing, seem to germinate from Pawnee Bill?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeke View Post
      The obvious query is how many of them, related to pan-Indian Fancy Dancing, seem to germinate from Pawnee Bill?
      Think further south and west in OK, the Craterville Lake experience is really the first major planted seed in the non-native wild plant that we call the "fancy dance" today. Pawnee Bull, the 101 Ranch, Thomas Ince, and other impact dancing at diff times and places, but the CL plays a larger, more important role than them, at an earlier date, in regard to fancy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
        Think further south and west in OK, the Craterville Lake experience is really the first major planted seed in the non-native wild plant that we call the "fancy dance" today. Pawnee Bull, the 101 Ranch, Thomas Ince, and other impact dancing at diff times and places, but the CL plays a larger, more important role than them, at an earlier date, in regard to fancy.
        To my knowledge, it wasn't until the last summer that folks outside of the tribal triumvirate participated -- making it difficult for me to buy that scores of "outside seeds" were planted en masse -- but I do understand the romanticism of the 1925-ish to 1933-ish Craterville Fair thing and you've researched more its impact. "Cool."

Social evolution is an inexplicable and wondrous thing. I, often, wonder what future folks will refer to today's stuff as?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeke View Post
          I, often, wonder what future folks will refer to today's stuff as?

Ol' Skool or some equivelant.
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

• i feel like such an old cat for my age, but my faves, well first off is tha 3 Poncas who started it all back in tha 20's-

Gus McDonald
            Dennis Roughface
            Henry Snake

but tha dancers who i look up to are

Pete Moore Jr.
            Randy Moore
            Deion Henry
            George Alexander
            Dwight White Buffalo
            R.G. Harris
            Crazy Horse Bison
            Graham Primeaux
            Cortney Yarholar
            Mama said don't play w/ matches...she never said anything about lighters ;)

Comment

• Jon Poncho Brady is The Michael Jordan of Fancy Feather Dancing.
              ...jus put on Mandareeeee....

Comment

• ISAIAH THE EXTREME BOB
                <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HATkGyqwvss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X