• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • contemptradish
    Junior Dancer
    • Jun 2000

foot attire

what do you consider more proper foot attire, moccs or cowboy boots?
    C-trad
  • wardancer
    I'm still here with Eyes!
    • Sep 2000

I was taught that mocs or dress shoes were the proper footwear, but these days most everybodys wearing boots. I prefer mocs.
    I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
    It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• CHEROSAGE
      cherosage
      • Apr 2002

HELLO WARDANCER:

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH WARDANCER, I WAS TAUGHT THAT THE PROPER FOOT WEAR IS THE MOCS.
      BOB

Comment

• Billy Two Hawks
        Pow Wow Visitor
        • Mar 2002

I was taught that mocs are the footwear to be used. Of course
        if you're at a powwow then you're probably going to see anything
        short of going barefoot.

Comment

• powwowbum49
          Arena Director
          • Sep 2000

Call me ole fashioned but I prefer dusters, even if I am wereing street clothes.
          PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

• luvstraightdancrs
            Senior Dancer
            • Mar 2002

Mocs or dress shoes. Cowboy boots are okay as well as long as you don't appear to just come in from the pasture.

Around here, church attire -- dress pants, nice long sleeve shirt, tie or bolo. That's what I've been told is proper.

Comment

• contemptradish
              Junior Dancer
              • Jun 2000

i would personally agree that the moccs look best!
              C-trad

Comment

• CHEROSAGE
                cherosage
                • Apr 2002

I agree that we should dress as nicely as we can.
                Dress slacks, nice shirt(PRFERABLY A LONGSLEEVE SHIRT), (boots or dress shoes have been tolerated).
                This includes the sash, bandalier, fan, and guord/rattle.

The mocs are still the attire of preference.
                Last edited by CHEROSAGE; 04-13-2002, 01:07 AM.
                BOB

Comment

• Billy Two Hawks
                  Pow Wow Visitor
                  • Mar 2002

I have two more cents to add. If you're supposed to dance in a traditional manner when Gourd Dancing, why would you anything but mocs?

Comment

• Zotigh
                    USMC
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by contemptradish
                    what do you consider more proper foot attire, moccs or cowboy boots?
                    Before she passed away, my grandmother urged me to always wear moccasins when I dance.

I'm gonna answer that I consider "...more proper foot attire.." to be moccasins. 'cause otherwise my grandma will thump me.
                    Scott Zotigh
                    Kiowa Black Leggings
                    Kiowa Gourd Clan
                    Kiowa Tiah Piah
                    Kiowa Marine Veterans
                    American Indian Veterans

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.