No announcement yet.

Gourd Dancing Styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dancing depends on the song and of course the way the drum sings these songs. If a drum is blessed and really in the grove most of the songs will send you adancin. I don't do a lot of bouncing, etc. I like to dance around with dignity, I seldom stand in one spot but will on occassions. I enjoy the feeling of just getting to dance with my family and very close friends. I enjoy getting to dance with Josiah, Earle, Lee, Bruce, Bob, my brothers Paul and Jimmy along with many more. I always liked to dance with Charlie Chibitty, Granddad- Jack Greenback, Willard, Uncle Ed and others (forgive me for speaking the name of those who have passed).
    BOB

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
      Gourd dancing is a highly personal dance, Its not for the spectators nor the other dancers its for you.
      The songs are very powerfull and for a time can take away your pain and life's issues. You forget its hot and that your tired all of those go away when you are dancing.
      So for some they like to just stand and barely move, singing along with the singers.
      Others like to move around getting those blessings in the arena...
      Still others dance for those that can't dance any longer.

But the most special time is when the song is particular powerfull you will see some bounce off the ground both feet not touching the ground and war whoops all around you making your heart soar with the song!! But that is usually down in Gourd Dance Country in around Carnegie Oklahoma July 2nd 3rd and 4th... Those are special days!!!

Good words, pahbi.
      Scott Zotigh
      Kiowa Black Leggings
      Kiowa Gourd Clan
      Kiowa Tiah Piah
      Kiowa Marine Veterans
      American Indian Veterans

Comment

Bump

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
        Gourd dancing styles vary from individual to individual.

Some men dance very dignified and respectful.

Some barely move except for their gourds.

Some "follow the leader" in a syncronized line.

Some dance close to the drum and shake their gourd like they are gonna bless the drum with their gourd.

Some jump as they dance.

Some couldn't keep time with their gourds if their life depended on it.

Some look like they are afraid and look around to see what others are doing.

Some shake their heads like they have a Fancy Dance Rocker on.

Some look like they are stalking the drum and dance in a zig-zag.

Some get the hibidy-jibidys and shake all their body parts.

Some dance so crazy that it makes your eyes roll backward. *L

How do you dance?
        How do the majority of dancers dance in your area?
        When you are dead you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

"Show me somethin"

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
          Gourd dancing styles vary from individual to individual.

Some men dance very dignified and respectful.

Some barely move except for their gourds.

Some "follow the leader" in a syncronized line.

Some dance close to the drum and shake their gourd like they are gonna bless the drum with their gourd.

Some jump as they dance.

Some couldn't keep time with their gourds if their life depended on it.

Some look like they are afraid and look around to see what others are doing.

Some shake their heads like they have a Fancy Dance Rocker on.

Some look like they are stalking the drum and dance in a zig-zag.

Some get the hibidy-jibidys and shake all their body parts.

Some dance so crazy that it makes your eyes roll backward. *L

How do you dance?
          How do the majority of dancers dance in your area?
          Here, Some jump as they dance.

Comment

aaw

thanks

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.