Kiowa Gourd Clan dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiowa Gourd Clan dates

Much has been posted about the Kiowa and the Gourd Dance on Powwows.com. Many times the answers to questions have been, "go to visit the Kiowa in order to witness for yourself."

With this, the following dates have been chosen by the Kiowa Gourd Clan to hold their "benefit dances" that will precede their annual celebration this summer. All of these benefits will take place in the Red Buffalo Hall in Carnegie, Oklahoma and start at approximately 2:00 p.m. These benefit dates are:

March 5

April 9

May 7

The annual Kiowa Gourd Clan celebration will take place at Carnegie Park, July 2-4, 2005. During this time the actual ceremonies will take place including the brush dance, processional, rabbit society, naming ceremonies, honorings, buffalo dance, etc.

*Please note that even though this event is open to visitors, you have to be Indian to participate in the gourd dancing and be very respectful at all times in both dress and manner.

Also you DO NOT have to be in the military or a veteran to dance.

The Kiowa are a very proud and hospitable people. If you really want to obtain more information about gourd dancing, you are invited to come, observe and learn.
    WhoMe
    PauWau Coordinator
    Last edited by WhoMe; 03-04-2005, 10:13 AM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Whome: Thanks for the dates.
    BOB

Comment

Rather a great point. You hit the hammer right on the nail. No, the Kiowa gourd dance is not a veteran's dance at all. It's a "ceremonial dance", and certainly not a social dance as most powwow people think it is. As our membership says: It pains the Kiowa Gourd Clan to see people who gourd dance and not dress in its proper way. I'm a member of the KGC, and I don't like others out there not showing proper respect for this dance. There's been a lot of obscurity over the years by those not familiar with the proper protocol and etiqutte of this dance. I'm not saying I know everything about the Kiowa gourd dance, just learning as I go on by what our elders and the membership teach in this society at Carnegie, Oklahoma.

Comment

Gourd dance

Would just like to add that the Kiowa Gourd CLAN is the only Gourd CLAN in existence.

Comment

Originally posted by lsmiles View Post
          Would just like to add that the Kiowa Gourd CLAN is the only Gourd CLAN in existence.
          Hmmm
          And the Otoe?
          Kiowa Tia-Piah?
          Oklahoma Tia-Piah?
          Texas Tia-Piah?
          ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
          Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
            Hmmm
            And the Otoe?
            Kiowa Tia-Piah?
            Oklahoma Tia-Piah?
            Texas Tia-Piah?
            Aren't those "Societies"?????

Comment

Originally posted by fretg View Post
              Aren't those "Societies"?????
              Yep
              I am aware they are societies
              They also Kiowa gourd dance peoples...
              The other post makes it sound like the Kiowa Gourd Clan is the only "group"
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

Comment

We're not a "Group" we're a CLAN.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X