Gourd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourd

What makes a great gourd or a good one at least? I've all sorts of "things" made into gourds. From slat shakers to little round bell things that sound like "bells" when shook. When I was small I decided to make my own when my dad didn't have time to make me one. I made it out of tomatoe paste can. Later on I got my own, after I had put many miles on my tomatoe paste can gourd. I had a great staff though, I beaded it later on after I learned how to bead pretty good. But unfortunately I lost that gourd along with my bolero when I went into hoop dancing and later on into grass and into fancy. I wonder where they went hmmmm...
    Last edited by Tiyospaye Yazzie; 03-09-2005, 06:05 PM.
    "I Ahula Ula"
    Enjoying the ride.
    BETA SIGMA EPSILON

I was initiated a year or two after my brother. He was initiated by Paul Abeyta and I forgot who I was initiated by. I tried asking my dad but he doesn't recall who the person was I think he was commanche or kiowa. I am not sure. But anyways I started out in powwow with gourd dancing. I like it today as I am trying to get back into gourd dancing. My dad would say to me, "it (gourd dancing) didn't leave you, you left it."
    "I Ahula Ula"
    Enjoying the ride.
    BETA SIGMA EPSILON

Comment

Originally posted by Tiyospaye Yazzie
      I was initiated a year or two after my brother. He was initiated by Paul Abeyta and I forgot who I was initiated by. I tried asking my dad but he doesn't recall who the person was I think he was commanche or kiowa. I am not sure. But anyways I started out in powwow with gourd dancing. I like it today as I am trying to get back into gourd dancing. My dad would say to me, "it (gourd dancing) didn't leave you, you left it."
      __

TiyoY,

"Initiations" as they relate to gourd dancing will make a good subject.

Anyone?.......
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
        __

TiyoY,

"Initiations" as they relate to gourd dancing will make a good subject.

Anyone?.......

Ennit!!!
        "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bo Jangles
          Ennit!!!
          ___

Mr Bo (not little elk) GAH!

What's the deal with "initiations" in your neck of the woods? I just saw another post where someone was going to get "initiated" into the jingle dress.

Please enlighten!
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Is this the same thing as "being brought out into Circle" as a Gourd Dancer?

To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

LSS,

When speaking of "initiation," I think they have something else in mind than simply being brought "into the circle."

In my mind, the latter means dancing and dressing out for the first time, complete with giveaway, etc. as a way to introduce you to everyone else and vice versa.

An initiation means being brought in as a member to a formal society or established group, like Kiowa Gourd Clan, Kiowa Tia-piah, or Comanche Little Ponies.

- P

Comment

Ahhhh I see....thanks for the clarification Park! One comes much later, most often I'm assuming.
                To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.