Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepared to Gourd Dance?

Originally posted by CHEROSAGE
    Very true. I didn't catch that point. Sorry. In my opinion the responsibility is with the sponsor. A person should have been talked to and given the skinny prior to being introduced. The dancers should already have the know before dancing. I have been asked to sponsor or cosponsor someone into the gourd dance. I will take the time to talk to the person at some length. This person should be properly prepared before the introduction.
    Good point, Luvstraightdancrs.

Travelingmocs also has a good point. NO bustles, no bell/dewclaws/deertoes/etc.
    I pulled this post from something Cherosage had posted some time ago (back in '03 I guess). And I wanted to ask, What makes a person properly prepared? Some questions to help get you all started....

Would that person need to know...
    * the history?
    * the songs?
    * the dance?
    * history of the family(s) who sponsor them?

Or is it just when someone sees someone is interested or feels it in their heart (or what some people like to say...that gutt feeling)?
    Last edited by LSS; 03-21-2005, 09:26 PM.
    To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Chero....can you offer an explanation to this?

Thanks
    To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Comment

Thanks, LSS.

I have obsevered often gentlemen enter the Gourd dance introduced by individuals that may or may not even know the truth of the Gourd dance. This is evident by the untraditional unconventional, un...., that several topics have been talked about in these topics.

My thoughts when I made this statement.
      I myself was approached to be a Gourd dancer. I had some lessons( or councling) about the Gourd dance. The do's/don'ts of the dance. I had several respected elders instructing me. These Elders just happened to be the leadership of the Quapaw Intertribal Gourd Dancers. I was introduced/entered the Gourd dance at Quapaw OK while I was still on active duty stationed at Ft. Sill, OK. When I returned to Ft. Sill I was allowed to dance in Lawton(area) and even in Carnegie(once at this time period).

I think people could either be invited or even approach a current Gourd dancer. Todays dancing world is going to have Gourd dancers of nonKiowa dancers no matter what anyone wants to say should be. I have had people talk to me about Gourd dancing. I give them what I know and introduce them to an Elder to teach these gentlemen the right way of doing business during the Gourd dance and what t represents(means). IF the individual accepts the teachings(rules) and if the teacher wants I may even help introduce(sponsor) this person.

I see so many things being done improperly( just not right) being done in the arena. This MAY be due to the "PAN-NDNism" people different from the Kiowa and even far from the source, whether Cheyenne, Comanche, Omaha, Osage ... people that claim rights to the dance. Wierd things happen when folks don't know or understand what is supposed to be.

I may have danced around your (?) intent. Ask me again if I just totally confused the issue and you.
      BOB

Comment

A little additional confussion and some soft shoe with my tap dancing.

The teachings should offer the History of the dance, this can only be done if the teacher was taught himself. I think the songs should be generally known of, not being Kiowa and not speaking Kiowa (I'm not a singer either) songs may need to be taught by a singer. Maybe this could even be for singers. The person being taught should know the history of the family and how that teacher has the right to teach, know.

I'm not intertaining the thought of an enquisition to be able to dance or teach. "We shouldn't have to have a right to dance card."
        BOB

Comment

Originally posted by CHEROSAGE
          I'm not intertaining the thought of an enquisition to be able to dance or teach. "We shouldn't have to have a right to dance card."

pi:wa

Aho

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X