question on buffalo dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on buffalo dance

i've been to several gourd dances and very few of them have the buffalo dance. what is this? how do you dance to this?
    powwow_twinkle

The Elders in my family told me that the buffalo dance was the last dance of the Kiowa Sun Dance. Everyone was invited to dance, for a blessing, supplication for the coming year. That all would be good. When the dance was over, the Sun dance was completed. The Kiowa Gourd Clan incorporated a lot of the Sun Dance ceremonies and rituals for it's ceremony in July. Such as the brush dance. This was the dance to bring in the center pole and brush for the medicine arbor. That is why the Kiowas have such a deep spiritual feeling for the gourd dance and get upset when they see other tribes disrespect it. I waited awhile to answer, just to see if any would interpret it differently.

Comment

hey, thanks for the information. that was very helpful.
      powwow_twinkle

Comment

Originally posted by miss tradish
        The Elders in my family told me that the buffalo dance was the last dance of the Kiowa Sun Dance. Everyone was invited to dance, for a blessing, supplication for the coming year. That all would be good. When the dance was over, the Sun dance was completed. The Kiowa Gourd Clan incorporated a lot of the Sun Dance ceremonies and rituals for it's ceremony in July. Such as the brush dance. This was the dance to bring in the center pole and brush for the medicine arbor. That is why the Kiowas have such a deep spiritual feeling for the gourd dance and get upset when they see other tribes disrespect it. I waited awhile to answer, just to see if any would interpret it differently.
        --

miss T,

You are lucky to have family to explain such important traditions of your tribe. What you say IS true.

On the same note. . .

The only time Buffalo dance songs are supposed to be sung with the gourd dance is at the end of the actual summer Kiowa Gourd Dance. This coincides with your explanation of how it was done to complete the Kiowa Sun Dance.

In essence, the buffalo dance was done to signify completion for that year. If buffalo dance songs are sung any earlier, it would signify "premature" completion.

Hence, buffalo dance songs have important purpose and significance.
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

So the buffalo dance songs are sung after the summer is over? I've heard the song, sung at the end of the gourd dancing and seen everyone dance together women/men alike, is that the only exception when women dance out there?
          Fall down 7 times, get up 8. MY FAMOUS WORDS.

Comment

Tawow!

goood indianformation!
            http://www.shannonthunderbird.com/IndGive1.gif

Comment

Tawow!

I once participated in a ceremony were we had to sing a song for a buffalo skull someone found in the bush by his house.
              Sage was put under the skull and we didn't touch it once after it was picked up by the Elder.
              http://www.shannonthunderbird.com/IndGive1.gif

Comment

Originally posted by kitchemanitou
                I once participated in a ceremony were we had to sing a song for a buffalo skull someone found in the bush by his house.
                Sage was put under the skull and we didn't touch it once after it was picked up by the Elder.
                They are not talking about buffalo skulls or anything like that... they are talking about the Kiowa Buffalo Dances....
                Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

This is the Gourd Dance.

And this the Buffalo Dance.

For All of ya'll who don't know.
                  Last edited by TacO5000; 06-17-2005, 02:03 PM.
                  Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by **jdazmum**
                    So the buffalo dance songs are sung after the summer is over? I've heard the song, sung at the end of the gourd dancing and seen everyone dance together women/men alike, is that the only exception when women dance out there?

Echo4,

Yes, no, yes. *L

Yes, buffalo songs are sung in a social dance called "The Snake and Buffalo dance" after the summer is over - anytime it is requested.

No, it is not one song. It is a series of different songs sung twice. Especially after the gourd dance.

Yes, women dance with the men in the arena when this series of songs is sung.
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by miss tradish
                      The Elders in my family told me that the buffalo dance was the last dance of the Kiowa Sun Dance.
                      Excellent explaination! I have heard the same. You did a good job of telling the history behind the Buffalo Dance and Kiowa Gourd Clan.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.