Sash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sash...

Imo, it depends on how big the person's waist is of course.

The ends of my sash hit me mid thigh and my fringe is another 18 inches long which will hit me about mid calf.

I tie one over hand knot to keep the beaded cup (that holds the sash together) in place.

I have three beaded cups, one for each sash end and then one that holds the sash together.
    DANCING IS EVERYTHING!!!!

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

My sash is about the same also... I tie mine in a square knot at the waist, but my rolliers are about mid thigh with teh fringe extending to the knee.

Any words on color...? Perhaps others may have comments.

Comment

sash color

Mostly you see royal or navy blue and in red to maroon. Sometimes you see other colors.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGOURD
        My sash is about the same also... I tie mine in a square knot at the waist, but my rolliers are about mid thigh with teh fringe extending to the knee.

Any words on color...? Perhaps others may have comments.
        I have a navy blue with white fringe and a deep red with red fringe.
        DANCING IS EVERYTHING!!!!

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

Comment

I have two sashes that rap around me once and ties with an overhand knot and the fringe also hits me mid calf. Of course i'm about 6'3". I also have a sash that I rap around me twice and tie in an overhand knot. This one also hits me mid calf.

1 sash is blue with white fringe.
          1 is red with gold fringe.
          1 is red with powder blue fringe.
          Each one only has two beaded cuffs just at the top of the fringe.

By the way I haven't received a purple heart so none of my sashes are purple. I was in the Artillery so 2 of my sashes are red and I also was in the Chemical Reg't so I have some blue.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
          BOB

Comment

BOB....

The purple sash.......

Thats what I really wanted to get out in the open as I have seen people wear the purple sash that did NOT have a Purple Heart. I am sure others have comments but that is what I was taught.

Pray for Peace.....

Comment

This is the first I've heard of wearing a 'purple velvet' to represent a "Purple Heart".

It's not traditional in any way, but...we honour all our veterans, and if that is how they want to distinguish themselves, then we salute them.

Otherwise, the sash in an augment or addition to the blanket. Wearing the beaded and fringed sash or the blanket or both is fine, as far as I know.

It's a Kiowa thang. The sash is the belt that holds the black string shawl. Most just wear the sash now and don't know why.

Kinda hard to tell folks to wear the sash, when the sash is to hold up the black string shawl and red breach cloth that represents Kiowa.

Most folks just wear the beaded sash without a shawl or breach...which is fine and appropriate.

Kiowa wear the red breach and black shawl...it's how you can tell a Kiowa from the others. (that, and the V-coned mocs...hehe)

So, it's prolly best that folks make the sash whatever they mean for it to mean.
              Last edited by Zotigh; 10-21-2005, 04:54 AM.
              Scott Zotigh
              Kiowa Black Leggings
              Kiowa Gourd Clan
              Kiowa Tiah Piah
              Kiowa Marine Veterans
              American Indian Veterans

Comment

The first time I put on the sash, an elder said to use a regular four-in-hand necktie knot, so that is what I use, snugged up fairly tight. I have one sash, half red and half black, and another magenta.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X