Peyote Gourds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyote Gourds

Greetings, can anyone tell me what the horse hair on the top of a peyote gourd represents ? Please email me if you know - thank you - [email protected]

Horse hair

:23:

Comment

peyote gourds

OK, here we go again, the way i was taught by older men like Koshiway was that the peyote gourd has its place and that place is in the peyote meeting.

The gourd dance has a distinctive sound coming from the shaking of those metal gourds. No other sound sounds the same

i was told that if you used a peyote gourd to dance with during gourd dance and something happened to that gourd, then something would happen to you.

Oh yeah, and the horse hair on top of them metal gourds they represent

HORSE HAIR

Comment

The horse hair is a deceration, I do not know of any meaning. As to using a gourd. Many people have said it is reserved for the NAC. But in Oklahoma I have seen many people use gourds for there rattles in stead of the metal cans. I was givien a gourd rattle to use. In many ways I think it just depends on what a person has.................
        If I do not know the answer someone else will!!!!
        Also forgive me, this system does not have a spell check so forgive the bad spelling

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• blacktail
          gourd rattles
          by blacktail
          what do people use to scrape the inside of the gourd? what is used inside to give it a good sound? how is the top attached and how do you get the horse hair tail to stand up?
          12-08-2004, 06:15 PM
        • WhoMe
          Gourd topping
          by WhoMe
          I own three gourds.

One has horse hair and beads on top. The other two have exotic bird feathers on top.

I was wondering if anybody knows why gourds used for gourd dancing are "topped off" with these two items?

I have a theory that the horse hair...
          02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
        • powwowbum49
          real gourd -vs- metal can
          by powwowbum49
          I wanted to see how you all feel about the use of a shaker made of a real gourd at gourd dances? I have been noticing that many of the NAC men are trying to get the real gourd out of the gourd dance arena and keep it strictly for the meetings. I do still see many folks still using real gourds, but thought...
          09-23-2000, 02:07 AM
        • CHEROSAGE
          Gourds vs cans
          by CHEROSAGE
          I know this has been eluded to many times in almost every thread going but I'm seeking thoughts about the Gourd vs the can. I personally have both. I understand the Gourd has a Church background, I too have a church gourd. I will use my Gourd at gourd dances. When did the can start to be used?
          11-17-2009, 02:49 AM
        • rodond
          gourd rattles
          by rodond
          are gourd rattles still used or they reserved for nac
          11-11-2005, 03:30 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X