Was I really invited?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I really invited?

I was watching a gourd dance session one day, while dressed in my Northern Trad clothes, and I was invited to dance a song by a person. I took off my bustle and steped forward and took the shaker he handed me and joined beside him. When the song was over we shook hands and I handed him his shaker back and steped out of the arena.

I know this person kind of in passing, that is to say that I have seen him around at powwows and we know each others name. I have not spoken to this person since the event and am wondering what the implications of this action were.

I have always enjoyed watching gourd dancing and listening to the songs. I was honored to be asked into the circle for the song. Is this how new people are brought into the circle of gourd dancing or was this just a one time thing. If he had taken the time to give me a shaker and a sash and told me more then I would know for sure, but he didn't.

I will openly apprciate all advice and comments.

MM
    Michael MedicineBear Mayo
    ~Sure you can trust the Gov't; just ask any Ndn~

Originally posted by tsa-la-gi
    Is this how new people are brought into the circle of gourd dancing or was this just a one time thing.

I will openly apprciate all advice and comments.

MM

M&M,

It was a one time thing. This person's letting you borrow his gourd to honor someone was a courtesy.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

THAT'S RIGHT!
      I agree with " WhoMe".
      undefinedwww.myspace.com/ladysingerkiowa

Comment

Thanks

Thank you both. I thought that is what it was. I guess I'll just have to keep showing interest until someone really brings me in.

To me gourd dancing is so peaceful. It seems stress-relieving since you don't have to worry about judges watching you or anything like that. I need that kind of good medicine in my life right now.

Thanks again.

MM
        Michael MedicineBear Mayo
        ~Sure you can trust the Gov't; just ask any Ndn~

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.