No announcement yet.

Kiowa Gourd Clan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another year has come and gone for the Kiowa Gourd Clan, as the buffalo dances were sung to close out this year's ceremonies.

145 male gourd dancers paraded in this years 4th of July processional. Many were dressed in traditional clothing against a backdrop of a full arbor and tipi encampment. War trophys of great Kiowa chiefs stood perched on staffs in the middle of the arena.

A new headsman and whipman were introduced. Several elders addressed the the crowd in the Kiowa Language throughout the 3-day ceremony. Visitors from the 4 directions came to witness gourd dancing "in it's purist form."

Many returning veterans were honored throughout. Women warriors in their fatigues, on leave from active duty, danced on the outskirts of the arena in support of Kiowa tradition.

The singing was off the wall. So many gourd dance songs belong to proud chiefs, families and living individuals. As each song was rendered, the two announcers told who each song belonged to.

The rabbit society had their annual reunion on Sunday and Monday morning. This year the head singer served as "Grandfather Rabbit."

Amidst a sea of gourd dancers, women fully circling the huge dance arena, the sound of the bugler blowing "charge", the tops of tipis surrounding the arena, fireworks lighting up the skys - a feeling of strength, spirituality and emotion filled the dance area.

"Gourd dancing just doesn't get any better than this!"

In the words of Numunu 1972, "I live each year for this moment!"
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

It was wonderful even for us that were only there on Saturday. :)

A very heart filling experience.
      Scott Zotigh
      Kiowa Black Leggings
      Kiowa Gourd Clan
      Kiowa Tiah Piah
      Kiowa Marine Veterans
      American Indian Veterans

Comment

I was at Carnegie last night and I have to say that it was very beautiful and moving. I've been to Taipei park on the 4th in the past and enjoyed that as well. It so cool to see all the "giving back" to the gourd society. I didn't get to make it out of camp except for two times, but even watching from where I was sitting was nice. Almost made me wish I was Kiowa...Aye! just kidding!! I did make me a little homesick tho'. By the way, I did get to eat some of ndnMSW's wildrice and she passed the Ojibwe taste test with flying colors. It was pretty kewl that the "allstate" man donated $1,500 for next year's dance, obviously he was moved by what he saw too.

Comment

Kiowa Gourd Clan Homecoming

WhoMe put it so well....
          Here I go anyway....
          Many people talk of the beauty of Niagara Falls, of the Rockie Mountains, of the Pacific Ocean...but there is a place...away from the urban life, a place so remote, only Kiowas and other indigenous people would take the time to travel there. It is the home of the Kiowa Gourd Clan.
          A little town with no stoplights, you turn down right past the barbeque joint and all of a sudden your sent to time a place where people worked together, danced together, sang together and ate together. 100° heat in the afternoon and the sound of crickets and crunchy grass. Camp tents, and teepees surrounding the arena. An arbor of willows and benches circling the sacred ground.
          145 men dancing to the beautiful gourd dance songs, family songs, war mother songs, buffalo songs.....
          This is what its all about for me. There is no gourd dancing like this anywhere in the world. And it is here, in that place, that I move from attending the social event and offer a gift to God.
          Numunu1971
          Kio-Manche
          Oklahoma Proud!!!

Comment

Kiowa Gourd Clan 2005

WhoMe & Numunu1971 have summed it all up so beautifully about the Kiowa Gourd Clan this year. Since I was a little girl I dreamt that heaven would consist of the Kiowa Gourd Clan campsite and activities and would never end but be an eternal celebration.

When the closing war dance song was sung, I knew it was over for another year and time to break camp. I always felt a little sad and homesick knowing I would have to wait another year until the next Kiowa Gourd Clan would take place.

Let's remember to support the Kiowa Gourd Clan throughout the coming year with their benefit dances and pay those much needed pledges made.

Like Joe Fish said "God could have made me anything He wanted me to be but He chose me to be Kiowa and I thank Him for that decision." Aho!

Comment

Originally posted by ndnmba
              I was at Carnegie last night and I have to say that it was very beautiful and moving. . . . . It so cool to see all the "giving back" to the gourd society. . . . Almost made me wish I was Kiowa....

Thanks ndnmba,

Your post makes me feel real good! Miigwetch!

Comment

Yeah. The real way, the Kiowa way. Not the powwow type of gourd dance where people dress with short sleeve & t-shirts, tennis shoes, ball caps and shorts. I wish them people would learn how to things correctly, gosh!

Comment

Yeah. The real way, the Kiowa way. Not the powwow type of gourd dance where people dress with short sleeve & t-shirts, tennis shoes, ball caps and shorts. I wish them people would learn how to do things correctly, gosh!

Comment

There is one extremely powerful and emotional song that is sung at the Kiowa Gourd Clan ceremonies.

It is started by the gourd dancers and you can hear it sung by the gourd dancers clear around the arena. While it is sung, only the gourds are used in accompanyment.

After it is started 4 times, the singers hit the drum hard, give the wolf howl and start it another four times at the drum.

Can any of you K'goy-goo help me out. This song has a Kiowa name?

Comment

For those of you who do not know... this song is called the "tohn daw gyah". this song belonged to chief whitebear. yet again this year Dawes has made another mistake; they have referred to this as the "paw daw gyah" (although there is such a song) but in recollection i know this is the "tohn daw gyah". in past years fred tsoodle had the part of starting this song and later handed the responsibility to his grandson Freddie Cozad. on the main day the song rendered was that which belonged to red wolf, in memory of his grandpa Leonard Cozad Sr.
                      (just a brief history)

Comment

Originally posted by saycoin311
                        Yeah. The real way, the Kiowa way. Not the powwow type of gourd dance where people dress with short sleeve & t-shirts, tennis shoes, ball caps and shorts. I wish them people would learn how to things correctly, gosh!
                        Gah, no need to act hi-yi. Kiowa Gourd Clan Pres. Glen Hamilton had on some ate up lookin' jeans. It sure is sad to see how judgemental they've become, and to think that if long time ago, all the old Kiowas were dancing and one of 'em looked down to see that, lets say, Chief Lonewolf, had a hole in his moccasin, the other's would look down on him and say,"Sorry, but you're gonna have to go sit down because you have a hole in your moccasin." Maybe that's why the Kiowa Gourd Clan is having so much trouble within themselves. Their judgemental ways are catching up with them. There's only one man who has the right to judge others, and thats the man upstairs.

Comment

Last edited by tworedshoes; 07-18-2005, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Kiowa Gourd Clan protocol & etiquette

It's too bad that not even the clan itself, isn't going by what they're suppose to be wearing when it comes to regalia. I guess anything goes, there's no more of a proper way of doing things in that ceremonial arena. Things aren't the way it was when the old-folks were here. Things change, people change, too. Too much of, Aw, it's okay. Be hi-ga-hain, it's okay long as nobody is offended. Let's just accept the fact that nobody's going to remember and practice ways of the past. Tradition dosen't mean traditional to anyone, it's not that I feel hi-yi, I feel appalled.

Comment

Well, if people are going to practice ways of the past, then some of them better learn their language. I know many young Kiowa singers today can really belt them out but if you were to ask them what the words meant in the songs they are singing, they probably couldn't tell you. Also, if the old folks were here, you wouldn't see all the families who show off and build themselves up. They don't have a right and the old folks know that.

Comment

practice of the old ways

Yeah, I agree with what you've said about certain people can build themselves up. We're taught not to boast or brag about what you're/we're doing as Kiowa people, actually, it shouldn't matter what tribe or race you come from. You see, even nowadays, we're really getting away from those teachings. We Indian people, or some of us take things a bit too seriously, and it gets very personal. Yes, I wish the old-folks were still here to set us straight, keep us on the right track. That is what I miss. Like I said earlier, things and people are constantly changing things around, especially when it comes to the old or traditional ways of our people.
                                Ah-Koh

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.