No announcement yet.

Kiowa Gourd Clan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, we all need a good old-fashion bawling out like the old people used to do at Kiowa Gourd Clan back in the day. I remember Old Man Tsoodle use to give it to the crowd about how things were turning out for the Kiowa people. There isnt anyone telling the younger generations how things are done and why things are done.

Everything the Kiowa people did had a reason and a lesson behind it but today everyone is out for themselves and no lessons are being learned.

Comment

Originally posted by nativemah
      Yeah, we all need a good old-fashion bawling out like the old people used to do at Kiowa Gourd Clan back in the day. I remember Old Man Tsoodle use to give it to the crowd about how things were turning out for the Kiowa people. There isnt anyone telling the younger generations how things are done and why things are done.

Everything the Kiowa people did had a reason and a lesson behind it but today everyone is out for themselves and no lessons are being learned.
      I hear what your saying, but I believe it is up to the FAMILY to teach the lessons, give direction. I am blessed to have Uncles who know it is for them to set me straight. I also have received good guidance from a few of our KGC leaders. In a very respectful way.
      I don't feel its proper to gossip about my KGC leadership whether it be in cyberspace or sitting on my couch. If I feel something is wrong, perhaps I would approach a headsman and discuss it with him. I feel it is improper.
      The most important thing to me, is this. Do "I" behave and dress in the proper way, as a member of the KGC? When I'm at home, or work, do I behave in a way that brings honor to my Gourd Clan? Am I a giver or am I a taker? A-Ho!
      Kio-Manche
      Oklahoma Proud!!!

Comment

Old-Folks

Hawww. I agree with you on that. Another thing is, we're slowly losing our language, hardly anyone talks Kiowa, a very few elders that we have left are, and that's starting to become a rare thing, depending where you live, and how often you might hear them talking Kiowa. For the rest of us, we'll just continue to mix it with English sentences and keep trying to learn it through our songs. The next best thing is to "Bpaye-Dawh-si", pray to Dawh-Kee (GOD) for help. I know the elders would encourge this, prayer, always. Things that make them Happy.
        Ah-Koh...........

Comment

Saycoin,
          I'm preaching to the choir, I know. We can thank the indian schools for the destruction of our languages. I know my Grandpa and Grandma were punished if they spoke their language at the school. And if their parents didn't bring them to the school, they were punished by having their rations held back. So when my parents were being raised, the language wasn't passed on.
          I used to love it when I would be at my Grandmas house and she'd be on the phone with her sister talking Kiowa. Sometimes, I'd hear my name, and I'd wonder what was so funny. Ha, ha, ha...
          So today, I believe it will take a concerted effort from the elders who speak it fluently, giving it to the kids who, through the pain and sacrifice of our parents, now are encouraged to learn our language.
          Numunu1971
          Kio-Manche
          Oklahoma Proud!!!

Comment

olden days

Quote for today, tomorrow and forever.

"A positive anything is always better than a negative nothing"

Comment

Red Shoes, Saycoin and Numunu,

We all agree that the Kiowa language is being lost.

I would venture to say that there is NOT a single Kiowa under the age of 50 who can hold a fluent Kiowa conversation with a K'goygoo elder - without using English words. If this is not true, can you name one Kiowa under the age of 50 who can?

I agree that most Kiowa young people who sing, cannot translate word-for-word what they are singing. But most know what they are singing about.

The K'goygoo language has diminished for many reasons: Boarding schools, Government ban on ceremonies for a 40 year period, intermarriage, relocation, non-functionality in today's society, disuse, lack of interest, etc. How many times have our young people been laughed at for pronouncing a K'goygoo word wrong? I think you get what I am saying....

Language extinction is affecting all tribes to different extents. K'goy-goo neighbors to the south (K'gyaigoo) have a fluent speaker who is 31 and lives in Apache. K'goygoo neighbors to the north across the interstate (Si K'awTdaw) have a fluent language speaker that is 26 and lives in Watonga. 8 Oklahoma tribes have no fluent speakers in their membership. 10 more tribes are one generation away from language extinction.

"Who's fault is it that the K'goygoo language is becoming extinct???" We as Native peoples are all facing this same issue.
              Last edited by WhoMe; 07-20-2005, 01:56 PM.
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

language

WhoMe,

I have to say, it's our ownselves who's letting the language lose out to a certain extent. Some won't get a chance to learn it. I know we all grew up hearing our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents speak fluently, everyday. Yes, those interventions had a way to keep tribes from learning their languages. That's been answered in that era. Today, it's different - maybe it is based on personal preferences, and how things are taught in the homes.

For encouragement purposes. As for all them young Kiowa singers, keep up the hard work at the drum. At least they're learning. There's nothing wrong with that. That's what learning is, they might make mistakes every now and then in pronouncing Kiowa words, but it dosesn't mean that they don't know anything. They should be encouraged. So, if they don't learn those songs, regardless, who's going to carry it on?

And for those who speak fluently regardless of age. They have a great gift to speak their respective languages. I'm sure they are using it helping others.

Comment

I feel mul-bane when I talk to the old-folks and they tell me things in kiowa. I don't understand. usually I will ask if I don't know, but I listen and try to take everything in and learn.
                  I also think kids today are not interested in there NDN ways..

Numunu said it... boarding school are still working today in the assimalation of our people.
                  Last edited by TacO5000; 07-21-2005, 12:59 AM.
                  Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Feel Maw-bane?

Hey, I can relate to that. When you try to say something in Kiowa, they either laugh at you or make you feel maw-bane. I think that's why a lot of younger people choose not to learn. Seems like just the bad words we learn first, huh? You're doing good when some elder is talking Kiowa, and in their sentence or comments, you can only recognize or identify one or two words, and puzzle it together like I do. At least we have that much. I for one, ain't no Kiowa expert, never was, and never will be one.
                    Ah-Koh-awn...........

Comment

Originally posted by saycoin311
                      WhoMe,

... As for all them young Kiowa singers, keep up the hard work at the drum. At least they're learning. There's nothing wrong with that. That's what learning is, they might make mistakes every now and then in pronouncing Kiowa words, but it dosesn't mean that they don't know anything. They should be encouraged. So, if they don't learn those songs, regardless, who's going to carry it on?

Well said saycoin

Comment

language

I agree in somewhat to a certain extent. When we use to hear elders talk Kiowa, we have everything. When they pass on, we slowly begin to lose that significant meaning as a people. What little we have left of their teaching(s), it means a lot to me, I cherish that. Slowly, but surely, we'll have to make the best of it, in what we have left of those memories. Speaking of slowly, but surely, I think that is why our tribal heritage, culture and ceremonial ways are gradually slipping away. And I think that explains why we act the way we do in result of this. Wouldn't you agree? We're not doing how they've (elders) done things in an appropiate manner. Including the language and all.

Comment

Speaking Kiowa

The Comanche College in Lawton, OK offers Comanche Language Classes I and Comanche Language II. This is an awesome way to learn the language and get college credit too. I'm thinking of taking Comanche Language I {half Kiowa and half Comanche}.

Too bad there isn't more Kiowa Classes available. I did attend a Kiowa class last year thru USAO, Chickasha, OK and got college credit. It was more of a history class and not a language class.

Comment

Originally posted by Camp7Kiowa
                            The Comanche College in Lawton, OK offers Comanche Language Classes I and Comanche Language II. This is an awesome way to learn the language and get college credit too. I'm thinking of taking Comanche Language I {half Kiowa and half Comanche}.

Too bad there isn't more Kiowa Classes available. I did attend a Kiowa class last year thru USAO, Chickasha, OK and got college credit. It was more of a history class and not a language class.

Camp7,

I do have to give credit where credit is due. . .

The Comanche see language preservation as a priority.

Comanche elders, who speak different band dialects, have put together a standardized dictionary in order for their language to survive.

Comanches have accredited language programs from their own tribal college.

The youngest fluent Comanche speaker is 31 years old. He can read and write in Comanche.

I, for one, am impressed!

Comment

I hear that a "cone-gee-own" guy named Drew, that is a "protege" of B.E. Horse can speak better Kiowa that most full bloods. He was interested in the Kiowa culture which included songs, dances, and history.

This kinda makes me feel bad because all the Kiowa ways are being taught and learn by NON Kiowas and here we Kiowas are not receiving this knowledge. I try the best I can to understand and pass on to my kids what I know about our tribe but I am not being taught by an elder who really knows that old ways.

The next best thing is to find a reliable Kiowa history book and learn from that. Sad isn't it. What do yall think?

Comment

deleted , wrong thread.....
                                Last edited by KSComanche; 06-30-2007, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.