X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• principaldog2
    replied
    Clean Up Day

I was asked by one of the KGC officers to remind the KGC members that Clean Up Day is Saturday, 07-21-08, at the Carnegie City Park, members should be there at 8:00am. Members wives are asked to bring something for the noon potluck meal. It's a lot of work and it's hot,but if everybody shows up we'll be done by noon. It's a lot of fun and you can hear some good stories. We drove by the park this weekend and there are a lot of stakes up already. Everybody is starting to get that "Fourth Feeling"!

Leave a comment:

• Camp7Kiowa
    replied
    I think he knows he's Konk. Hey Kon-gee-ons are tribal too arent they...just kidding.

Hey Saycoin I didnt even know that was you...its me LWW!!! Bay-Gaw!
    Last edited by Camp7Kiowa; 12-18-2007, 02:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Camp7Kiowa View Post
    I hear that a "cone-gee-own" guy named Drew, that is a "protege" of B.E. Horse can speak better Kiowa that most full bloods.

Camp7,

But does he know he's a konegee?

Leave a comment:

• kiowakat
    replied
    Morning, I heard there is a Kiowa young mens association in darko there, , maybe be a volunteer and go palces with them like out to medicine park and saddle mountain, get some visual history that always kewl, I know they had a tipi putting up class in june, I don't know if it happened due to rain and all.... then maybe someday they will get craft workers in there to help with classes....as far as a langauge class there is one in carnegie on monday or tuesday nights at 7 at the complex i think, call the Kiowa education center and ask about that language get together, I know somebody picks up these elders and takes them......

Welcome to Kiowa Young Men's Association Online

Leave a comment:

• cauijogul
    replied
    I hear that a "cone-gee-own" guy named Drew, that is a "protege" of B.E. Horse can speak better Kiowa that most full bloods. He was interested in the Kiowa culture which included songs, dances, and history.

This kinda makes me feel bad because all the Kiowa ways are being taught and learn by NON Kiowas and here we Kiowas are not receiving this knowledge. I try the best I can to understand and pass on to my kids what I know about our tribe but I am not being taught by an elder who really knows that old ways.

The next best thing is to find a reliable Kiowa history book and learn from that. Sad isn't it. What do yall think?
    Sometimes i feel like that too (in regard to your middle paragraph), but i believe it is a combination of a lack of access to certain things or shyness that slows this down.
    I always thought a Kiowa History class would be a good thing to have at local schools like anadarko, riverside, and carnegie, and always wondered why there wasn't while i went to school there. There is the language class there, but a history class could be a seperate class on its own. Maybe the money isn't available or the idea hasn't come up, though.

Leave a comment:

• cauijogul
    replied
    The Comanche College in Lawton, OK offers Comanche Language Classes I and Comanche Language II. This is an awesome way to learn the language and get college credit too. I'm thinking of taking Comanche Language I {half Kiowa and half Comanche}.

Too bad there isn't more Kiowa Classes available. I did attend a Kiowa class last year thru USAO, Chickasha, OK and got college credit. It was more of a history class and not a language class.

I know this is kind of old, but Kiowa language is also taught at the Anadarko high school, the University of oklahoma (for the past 15+ years. Different spelling system from USAO), and maybe still in elgin (i'm not sure if it's still there). Those who teach the Kiowa hymns also have a formal system of teaching Kiowa reading and writing (Also a different spelling system). I believe there are small independant groups teaching the language as well.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy_truckin_NDN
    replied
    wahhh, who me, u for got about me...auye...

Leave a comment:

• KSComanche
    replied
    deleted , wrong thread.....
    Last edited by KSComanche; 06-30-2007, 06:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Camp7Kiowa
    replied
    I hear that a "cone-gee-own" guy named Drew, that is a "protege" of B.E. Horse can speak better Kiowa that most full bloods. He was interested in the Kiowa culture which included songs, dances, and history.

This kinda makes me feel bad because all the Kiowa ways are being taught and learn by NON Kiowas and here we Kiowas are not receiving this knowledge. I try the best I can to understand and pass on to my kids what I know about our tribe but I am not being taught by an elder who really knows that old ways.

The next best thing is to find a reliable Kiowa history book and learn from that. Sad isn't it. What do yall think?

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Camp7Kiowa
    The Comanche College in Lawton, OK offers Comanche Language Classes I and Comanche Language II. This is an awesome way to learn the language and get college credit too. I'm thinking of taking Comanche Language I {half Kiowa and half Comanche}.

Too bad there isn't more Kiowa Classes available. I did attend a Kiowa class last year thru USAO, Chickasha, OK and got college credit. It was more of a history class and not a language class.

Camp7,

I do have to give credit where credit is due. . .

The Comanche see language preservation as a priority.

Comanche elders, who speak different band dialects, have put together a standardized dictionary in order for their language to survive.

Comanches have accredited language programs from their own tribal college.

The youngest fluent Comanche speaker is 31 years old. He can read and write in Comanche.

I, for one, am impressed!

Leave a comment:

• Camp7Kiowa
    replied
    Speaking Kiowa

Leave a comment:

• saycoin311
    replied
    language

I agree in somewhat to a certain extent. When we use to hear elders talk Kiowa, we have everything. When they pass on, we slowly begin to lose that significant meaning as a people. What little we have left of their teaching(s), it means a lot to me, I cherish that. Slowly, but surely, we'll have to make the best of it, in what we have left of those memories. Speaking of slowly, but surely, I think that is why our tribal heritage, culture and ceremonial ways are gradually slipping away. And I think that explains why we act the way we do in result of this. Wouldn't you agree? We're not doing how they've (elders) done things in an appropiate manner. Including the language and all.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by saycoin311
    WhoMe,

... As for all them young Kiowa singers, keep up the hard work at the drum. At least they're learning. There's nothing wrong with that. That's what learning is, they might make mistakes every now and then in pronouncing Kiowa words, but it dosesn't mean that they don't know anything. They should be encouraged. So, if they don't learn those songs, regardless, who's going to carry it on?

Well said saycoin

Leave a comment:

• saycoin311
    replied
    Feel Maw-bane?

Hey, I can relate to that. When you try to say something in Kiowa, they either laugh at you or make you feel maw-bane. I think that's why a lot of younger people choose not to learn. Seems like just the bad words we learn first, huh? You're doing good when some elder is talking Kiowa, and in their sentence or comments, you can only recognize or identify one or two words, and puzzle it together like I do. At least we have that much. I for one, ain't no Kiowa expert, never was, and never will be one.
    Ah-Koh-awn...........

Leave a comment:

• TacO5000
    replied
    I feel mul-bane when I talk to the old-folks and they tell me things in kiowa. I don't understand. usually I will ask if I don't know, but I listen and try to take everything in and learn.
    I also think kids today are not interested in there NDN ways..

Numunu said it... boarding school are still working today in the assimalation of our people.
    Last edited by TacO5000; 07-21-2005, 12:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.