• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gourd rattles

are gourd rattles still used or they reserved for nac

Originally posted by rodond
    I have seen once in awhile someone use a gourd rattle but
    Usually they are grandpa age. My undrstanding is to use metal gourd for gourd dance and gourd rattle for NAC.
    I like the sound of the Metal Gourd especially when everyone is in beat and there are many dancers. Sounds great!!!
    I have never seen a Metal gourd used in a meeting (NAC) by the way.
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by rodond
      ro,

This is a good question.

I have heard that gourd rattles are reserved for NAC. However I have seen these types of rattles at gourd dance ceremonies.

I have seen many types of artifact rattles. Some are of a large gourd and carved, others are made of deer toe. Still others are made of hollowed hooves.

It would be interesting to find out what type of rattle was originally used by the tribes that gourd danced?
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I personally have both. I will use my gourd when I feel the want to. I will some times use it when I notice no one else using one. some what a rogue, I suppose.
        BOB

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X