Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Coast / West Coast.... Question?

Hey all,
    question for you. I was born and raised on the East Coast. The Gourd Dance is similar there but my question is, is it appropriate for "all" women to support the men by dancing around the outer circle during the Gourd dance? I was raised that if you don't have regalia on you need to at least have a shawl, and my pops always taught me to have a shawl handy. What is the tradition here on the west coast? anyone know?
    The other east coast / west coast question... my pops always taught me a lady at least needs a shawl and a skirt on, I was a bit suprised to see some with shorts.

Hi. I'm Chickasaw but was brought out on the arena by a Kiowa family. This is what I was told: always a shawl and legs covered during Gourd Dance. I don't like seeing shorts either. Whenever I Gourd dance on the perimeter,I'm always dressed in full regalia. I have danced in my shawl and long pants though, once or twice. Still I prefer my full outfit.

Comment

why east coast/west coast?...shouldn't the question be, how's it done in Carnegie, Anadarko, Lawton, etc, etc....?

Comment

I noticed from your name that you are Ojibwe. It's honorable that you want to dance with the Gourd Dancers, but as far as I know, we didn't do this dance. I haven't been in the Kansas area,but maybe the Potowatomie people who've lived there for a long time have incorporated this dance into their culture. Can anybody fill us in on that?

Comment

I grew up in Connecticut (from Sault Ste. Marie, Mich) and traveled around a bit. I know this dance does not have Ojibwe background to it.. yet, I find it has become sort of special to me. Thanks to all that took the time to respond to respond to my question.

Comment

When I lived in California, where they did Gourd Dance I only saw 'elder' women participate and, yes, they always had shawls and skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by homalosa
              Hi. I'm Chickasaw but was brought out on the arena by a Kiowa family. This is what I was told: always a shawl and legs covered during Gourd Dance. I don't like seeing shorts either. Whenever I Gourd dance on the perimeter,I'm always dressed in full regalia. I have danced in my shawl and long pants though, once or twice. Still I prefer my full outfit.
              Homalosa,
              It looks like I found one of your first posts.

Comment

I like to Gourd dance is relaxing and was a good way to warm up before powwow time and I am not from Oklahoma but my Okie friends didnt mind but we did wear a shawl. Why is there always a controversy over something enjoyable?

Comment

We wore shawls and and jeans never had anyone say anything except to have a good time and dance! gee

Comment

Originally posted by AkiIkwe View Post
                    Hey all,
                    question for you. I was born and raised on the East Coast. The Gourd Dance is similar there but my question is, is it appropriate for "all" women to support the men by dancing around the outer circle during the Gourd dance? I was raised that if you don't have regalia on you need to at least have a shawl, and my pops always taught me to have a shawl handy. What is the tradition here on the west coast? anyone know?
                    The other east coast / west coast question... my pops always taught me a lady at least needs a shawl and a skirt on, I was a bit suprised to see some with shorts.
                    Hello there,
                    I feel your pain. Just moved back up north from Florida. Same problem there. Best to listen to your dad and keep bringing a shawl. Maybe you'll get a chance to give a shawl to someone who needs it. Teaching by example without ridiculing others is the way of the circle. Perhaps there is a person you can talk to who is wearing shorts and no shawl to share your knowledge. That way, they might be inspired to remember that next time and come in more properly dressed. As far as I know, only those in regalia (except during a social dance-like very informal) do the womens come in the circle during grand entry. Other than that, during intertribals, I have also seen a big variety. Where ever we are, we have to always teach people. Thats the best way to share d'culture.

Comment

I don't recall any women without shawls (in cali sometimes its so hot the girls wore shorts, no daisy dukes!!) or ridicule unless they're just malicious people your hangin with people get so analytical omgosh give it a break

Comment

women need to wear shawls.......exception made for tiny tot girls practicing to dance
                        "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X