Gourd Dancing in Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourd Dancing in Illinois

There will be gourd dancing at the Mascoutin Society's O-sa-wan Pow-wow in Belvidere, IL on Saturday, Aug. 18. I think the GD goes on around 12 or 12:30 in the afternoon and 6 or 6:30 in the evening. Belvidere, IL is just east of Rockford, IL and a short drive west of Chicago.

It has been a while, if ever, that there has been gourd dancing at this dance. Come on out and support it.

CEM

On behalf of the Mascoutin Society of Chicagoland, I would like to thank Mel Hoefling, Kickapoo Rice, & the rest of Strongheart, White Star and all the Gourd Dancers that came to the O Sa Wan powwow this past weekend. I believe the gourd sets went well and hope this will continue at our summer dances in the future.

I am no gourd dancer, but I love to kick back and listen . . .
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

how many ndns where gourd dancing there probably none!why do people feel the need to act ndn when there not.when you are ndn espiacially kiowa or cheyenne it is your god given right to do these dances theres a meaning and an order behind all ndn dances and songs.why people think they can pick and do anything makes me mad .non ndns need to do things god gave them not what they gave us im not tryin to offend anyone im not saying ndns are better than non ndns and i know non ndns are no better than us but people in my opinon can not take on rolls of other people. you half to live an indian life everyday to understand fully. you can not throw on some beads once a month and understand everything that is going on.go to carnigie okla on the 4th of july and see how it is really done.i have never seen it duplacated it is a srict dance and i cant understand how people in illinois can understand that.
      learn it,live it love it!

Comment

Wow, who crapped in your wheaties Okla49er?

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Travelingmocs ]
        One thing at a time...

Comment

Now there was no indians gourd dancing but there was one indian who was helping the drum singing the songs........
          If I do not know the answer someone else will!!!!
          Also forgive me, this system does not have a spell check so forgive the bad spelling

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.