regalia meaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regalia meaning

I was emceeing this weekend and explaining the different parts worn on a gourd dancers regalia. Granted, there are many changes from the what original gourd dancers wore. But even today, everything on the regalia has a reason or some symbolism.

However,

I don't know why silver beads are worn.

I also don't know why the fan is carried.

Can anybody help me out?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

I've always been told that the fan represents the arrows carried by the Red Wolf as he was teaching the Kiowa Warrior the Gourd Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernSinger
      I've always been told that the fan represents the arrows carried by the Red Wolf as he was teaching the Kiowa Warrior the Gourd Dance.
      Ssinger,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know the answer, but I will have the most excellent opportunity to ask questions, this weekend.

This is a question I will definitely bring up.

Comment

Interesting

I had always heard that Red Wolf carried a fan, usually eagle. I had not heard about arrows.

With respect to the silver beads on the bandolier, I always took that to relate more to trade with either the Spanish or certain Southwestern tribes.

It will be interesting to hear what WhoMe learns this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by park
          It will be interesting to hear what WhoMe learns this weekend!

Uh, Park?

I'm not sure if I will be able to share some of this information.

Somethings are meant to be shared, somethings aren't.

There is a time and place for everything.

Comment

Uh, WhoMe

I was jus' kidding. You know I don't expect you to blab about such things (unlike others).

Comment

The Meaning

Hey there I love to hear that people want to hear and learn nd if you really want to know about why it is that certain things are worn I can tell you that. My father "Sunboy" recently passed away and he was a founder of the Tia Paih societ of Carnegie, and of coure I do know why. If serious I will tell you about it.. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by KeenKiowaBabe4Ever
                Hey there I love to hear that people want to hear and learn nd if you really want to know about why it is that certain things are worn I can tell you that. My father "Sunboy" recently passed away and he was a founder of the Tia Paih societ of Carnegie, and of coure I do know why. If serious I will tell you about it.. thanks
                I am sorry for your loss, I really enjoyed your dad..I remember once at the annual he was telling us stories about when he was a boy...he had me laughing so hard... I miss having him come down here to Crowley to visit the family.
                sigpicWe spend a lifetime worrying about if we make a difference....Marines don't have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by KeenKiowaBabe4Ever
                  .... if you really want to know about why it is that certain things are worn I can tell you that. ..... of coure I do know why. If serious I will tell you about it.. thanks

Okay, I finally found someone who gave me an interpretation of why the silver beads are worn with the mescal beans.

KeenKbabe,

Why do gourd dancers carry a fan?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X