One-and-One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-and-One

I was wondering when doing a special during a gourd dance and a one-and-one is called for, is there a "correct" order for the songs? Last couple of times I've sat-in I noticed it the gourd song was second. But there was some discussion about if it should have been first.

If there is no specified order, who generally gets to decide the order; head singer, MC, honoree, AD?

So I thought that I'd ask to see if there is a consensus here.

As always, thanks for the info.
    "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Originally posted by hobbs49
    I was wondering when doing a special during a gourd dance and a one-and-one is called for, is there a "correct" order for the songs? Last couple of times I've sat-in I noticed it the gourd song was second. But there was some discussion about if it should have been first.

If there is no specified order, who generally gets to decide the order; head singer, MC, honoree, AD?

So I thought that I'd ask to see if there is a consensus here.

As always, thanks for the info.
    hobbs,

The one-and/on-one thing is a fairly new trend that has been readily accepted at southern style intertribal powwows.

It wasn't always this way.

In a speech by the late headsman of the Kiowa Gourd Clan (name withheld) we were reminded of certain guidelines to follow as KGC members. One of these was, if it was gourd dance time, you didn't have a one-on-one. You just had a gourd dance sung for your special.

Also, there was a time when the war dance portion was going on, and a special took place, they would simply have one wardance song sung for the honoree (aka. a personal, family, veterans, chief's or giveaway song).

"It's funny how powwows change tradition."
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I sure hear you WhoMe, it seems that many things go on during the time alotted for gourd dance, besides gourd dancing. But to address the question, all the one and one's I've seen, the gourd song comes second after the special.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
        ...if it was gourd dance time, you didn't have a one-on-one. You just had a gourd dance sung for your special.

Also, there was a time when the war dance portion was going on, and a special took place, they would simply have one wardance song sung for the honoree (aka. a personal, family, veterans, chief's or giveaway song).
        I think the above quote WhoMe provided from a headsman of the Gourd Clan is a very good answer.

Which song goes first when one isn't suppose to mix songs?

LOL
        Scott Zotigh
        Kiowa Black Leggings
        Kiowa Gourd Clan
        Kiowa Tiah Piah
        Kiowa Marine Veterans
        American Indian Veterans

Comment

So, where did the one-and-one originate?
          I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Singerdad
            Singerdad, great question! I was just getting ready to ask this myself

Until the last couple of years, it had been a while since I'd really looked at the gourd dance. I don't really remember if it was done when I was a punk or not. However, now that I am intent on learning these songs and more importantly trying to understand that which happens at a gourd dance, I'm curious to know why things are done. This seems, based on the great responses above (thanks), to be a relatively "new" trend so it would be interesting to me to know when it started and maybe even where if that can be discovered.

Unfortunately, my exposure is limited as I'm now on the east coast where it seems that the only place to really find any gourd dancing is at hobbs powwows. I had hoped to get to OK this past July to see it live and up close, but family issues prevented. Luckily for me, there's always next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Singerdad
              I always got the sense that it started out west - maybe in NM or AZ in the 1960s or 1970s, then got picked up by a FEW non-Kiowas back in OK. Even at the vast majority of non-Kiowa gourd dances in OK, its no where near as common as in NM - dang, every gourd dance out here has like 12 1&1 sets.... I think you could make a strong case that they aren't really even true "gourd dances" - just "pre-powwow socials" that just happen to be using gourd dance songs for better or worse (and there's alot of worse!).

Maybe WhoMe and Zotigh could ask some of their "connections" here in NM who were around in the 1950s, 60s and 70s and see what they have to say.... Ralph would probably have some good insight on this question....
              Last edited by Str8Dancer49; 09-01-2006, 10:58 AM.
              Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Str8Dancer49
                I always got the sense that it started out west - maybe in NM or AZ in the 1960s or 1970s, then got picked up by a FEW non-Kiowas back in OK. Even at the vast majority of non-Kiowa gourd dances in OK, its no where near as common as in NM - dang, every gourd dance out here has like 12 1&1 sets.... I think you could make a strong case that they aren't really even true "gourd dances" - just "pre-powwow socials" that just happen to be using gourd dance songs for better or worse (and there's alot of worse!).

Maybe WhoMe and Zotigh could ask some of their "connections" here in NM who were around in the 1950s, 60s and 70s and see what they have to say.... Ralph would probably have some good insight on this question....

Str8,

That is a really good theory that the 1 and/on 1 began in NM, and deserves more investigating.

There were no powwows in NM in the 50's.

There was such a mix of tribes in the first powwows in NM, that everybody contributed parts of their tribal traditions to make NM powwows what they are today.

Gourd dancing began in NM in the early 70's.

Comment

I use to see the one on one thing at Benefit powwows out "west" in the 80's but I just recently came back to OK and dang if they are not doing them here!
                  Alot of other things are happening during our "Gourd Dance Time" such as specials and talking and talking rather then dancing but, sigh where you can you put the time everybody needs for specials???
                  Certainly not during the Fancy Dancers time no no.....
                  ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                  Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah
                    ... but, sigh where you can you put the time everybody needs for specials???
                    Certainly not during the Fancy Dancers time no no.....
                    I'm getting the feeling that at least some are seeing these 1 and 1 specials for all types of occassions. I should state that the only times that I've really seen it used has been for recognizing those associated with the gourd dance itself. For example, the head gourd dancer for the weekend or maybe the sponsoring society or something like that. Are others seeing the 1 and 1's used for other recognition/honoring?

Comment

The only times I have seen it has been when requested by the head gourd dancer or host organization.

Comment

I remember that the 1 and 1 in the early/mid 80's in the NE OK area. I understand that around there it was and still is for the Head/Host GourdDancer(s) as an honor(special) time. We still use it today. I know that Robert Gouladdle(SP, sorry) and Kenneth Anquoe helped to bring the Gourd dance to the NE OK area along with Granddad(Jack Greenback) and Clifford Sloan.
                        BOB

Comment

This past weekend I attended the 46th Annual Tecumseh Lodge pow wow in Tipton, IN for the first time and saw some nice gourd dancing there. I just watched both afternoons and saw three one-and-ones: one for the Head Singer (at his request), one for the host organization (White Star Gourd Dance Society), and one for a new member being inducted into the society. All three had really nice songs and were enjoyable to watch.

I'm certainly not arguing with anyone here as my knowledge of gourd dance is very limited, but if this is a "wrong" thing to do it would be odd because it sure seemed right and really seem to work very well in honoring those individuals and the organization. It was a very nice gourd dance and the songs sung there were top-knotch.
                          I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Wojapi4Me
                            ... if this is a "wrong" thing to do it would be odd because it sure seemed right and really seem to work very well in honoring those individuals and the organization.

Wojapi,

When in Rome.....

There are not too many people, including myself, that tell an individual who is being honored not to request a one-on-one during their special.

As a visitor, I and most people I know, respect the ways of our hosts, when we visit a powwow.

In the northeastern part of my state, they request one-on-ones at midnight or even later! It's their way. They are used to it, so it is just best to go along with their protocol!

Comment

Same

Being from Minnesota, I never saw gourd until I came here to AZ. I started sining some southern songs about 20 years ago...one time at a Vet's Day gourd dance, in between sets the MC joked "Them Chippewas can sure start them gourd songs."

Everyone snickered.
                              Big Pauly, Anishinaabe Ogitchidaa Aanikoominodewiwin

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X