Gourd dance society gatherings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourd dance society gatherings

Hello all, This is Little White Mouse. I have been dancing as a gourd dancer since 2002 and live in Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada and would like to know if there are any gourd dance societies in Manitoba/Winnipeg/Canada and who I would contact in order to get involved.

If there are none here, I would like to be contacted on how to start a gourd dance society in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

my email address is [email protected]

Originally posted by dougrh
    Hello all, This is Little White Mouse. I have been dancing as a gourd dancer since 2002 and live in Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada and would like to know if there are any gourd dance societies in Manitoba/Winnipeg/Canada and who I would contact in order to get involved.

If there are none here, I would like to be contacted on how to start a gourd dance society in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

my email address is [email protected]
    oooooo *k,

Hmmmm?

Little White Mouse,

I think you may be getting a little ahead of yourself here....

Any good plan involves a feasibility study.

Are there others in Winnipeg who also gourd dance?

Are there singers in Winnipeg who know gourd dance songs?

As the main instigator of this project, do you know the gourd dance history?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Hear, hear

I agree completely with WhoMe (per usual).

One man--no matter how enthusiastic or knowledgeable--simply cannot pull off what you propose. Hosting a gourd dance takes many people, including the basics of finding a place to hold the dance, hosting a meal, setting up and breaking down the arena, singing the songs, and (certainly not the least of which) appreciating the protocol of the dance arena.

Assuming there are those in your area with the interest in and knowledge of the gourd dance, the question of legitimacy and/or authority remains. I recommend you seek out the support of those existing societies with the right to grant the right you seek.

P.S. While I'm not saying it can't be done, it is a long drive to Oklahoma!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X