Hottest gourd dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hottest gourd dance

Gourd dancing and hot weather seem to go side-by-side.

What is the hottest (temperature) gourd dance you have ever been to and where was it?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

didn't ever see the temp, had to be close to a 100, with high humidity in the first week of July over at the Quapaw powwow, for some reason the air just doesn't seem to move down in that depression. I'm pretty sure I danced some in August in Oklahoma, but I think it was too hot to remember where!
    Last edited by streamhawk; 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Frank Liske Park is always a hot one! It's in NC the first weekend in August!

This past year the tops of my hand were sun burnt as well as my scalp!
      New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Carnegie-daw

Don't remember the year...but, I remember dancing next to you to try to catch some shade.

hehe
        Scott Zotigh
        Kiowa Black Leggings
        Kiowa Gourd Clan
        Kiowa Tiah Piah
        Kiowa Marine Veterans
        American Indian Veterans

Comment

Hey Scott, would that be called, shade dancing?

The hottest I can remember is at Quapaw Grounds 4th july, many yrs ago, about 1985, and it was about 104.

I danced in Carnegie in Aug at a dance, I remember it was hot. BUT this was inside. It must have been 1992 because I was getting ready to go home, separate from Active Duty.
          BOB

Comment

Just about anywhere in Oklahoma during the summer is very Hot
            But there seems to be a few places that seem to exceed our expectations...

The 7clans Dance grounds up by Red Rock is next to a river and amongst trees and has no Wind its Hot,Humid and miserable!!! Temp was around 105 degrees
            I thought I was going to pass out but kept looking at the old ones shaking it hard and pressed on...

The Dance Grounds at Skiatook is in a Bowl of trees you can see the tops of the trees blowing around but no wind down at ground level they announced 104 and this was August. We only danced about an hour it was too hot to dance in the afternoon.

Chieftain Park during the day is pretty hot but at night they move to the upper dance grounds and a nice wind is blowing through there so it makes up for it.

I have heard of others that are pretty hot I have not been to Indian Hills but have been told that will melt your face off

I think my favorite place to dance (sofar) during the summer has got to be the Kaw Tribal Dance Grounds by Lake Kaw
            They built a permanent cover with the sides open that is about 75' wide by about 100' feet long has enough room for small bleachers, So you are covered from the Afternoon sun but still get a nice breeze through there.
            Then after supper they move to the open air arena with a nice breeze blowing in and the view of the lake real pretty place to have a dance...
            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
            Till I Die!

Comment

for the summer of 2006 it was hot to dance anywhere outside in Oklahoma....but yeah Otoe always seems hotter with the dust and humidity from the creek.....
              @}-->-->--BuckskinRose--<--<--{@

Comment

Originally posted by Zotigh View Post
                Carnegie-daw

Don't remember the year...but, I remember dancing next to you to try to catch some shade.

hehe

I was wonderin' why you's was sittin so close *L

I actually remember that summer.

You remember that guy sitting two dancers over whose popcorn seeds was poppin' inside his gourd?

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                  I was wonderin' why you's was sittin so close *L

I actually remember that summer.

You remember that guy sitting two dancers over whose popcorn seeds was poppin' inside his gourd?
                  HAHAHa
                  I bet you were thinking dangg those guys must be good friends!!!!
                  hahaha
                  Just looking for shade

Ok that would be hot if your gourd started popping
                  Funny thing I would be grabbing for my popcorn salt
                  I love Popcorn
                  L*
                  ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                  Till I Die!

Comment

Peoples, In 1994 I was head gourd dancer for the OTOE-ENCAMPMENT (not the Seven Clans dance grounds).
                    Now that year was hotter than _ _ _ _ ! The temp we were told was 109 and that was in the shade. Just getting dressed and walking to the dance grounds our shirts were wet by that time.
                    Me, brother Hank and by boy's were soaked by the end of the first session but "good dancing" too many to count and all had a good time.
                    Last edited by pawtoeman; 02-14-2007, 10:16 AM. Reason: added work
                    this is all i have to say

Comment

pawtoeman wrote:
                      Peoples, In 1994 I was head gourd dancer for the OTOE-ENCAMPMENT (not the Seven Clans dance grounds).
                      Now that year was hotter than _ _ _ _ ! The temp we were told was 109 and that was in the shade. Just getting dressed and walking to the dance grounds our shirts were wet by that time.
                      Me, brother Hank and by boy's were soaked by the end of the first session but "good dancing" too many to count and all had a good time.
                      Hey I was princess that year. Dang I about melted to my buckskin. one big ol pile of otoe mush. gah... probably made you picture some type of meat gravy, eh? haha
                      Last edited by superndngyrl; 02-14-2007, 04:46 PM.
                      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
                        Hey I was princess that year. Dang I about melted to my buckskin. one big ol pile of otoe mush. gah... probably made you picture some type of meat gravy, eh? haha

haha, I can just picture that...

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
                          one big ol pile of otoe mush. gah... probably made you picture some type of meat gravy, eh? haha

More like steam fry? *L

___

Hey I finally found your memory stick. PM me your address so I can send it to you. A thousand Aho's!

And yes, you can stay with us if you come out in August!

Comment

Hott to trot

it's a non matter what the temp is if it's in your heart then it do not matter...

Comment

A fellow told me, "You know...I go to pow-wows and it's nice, but... when I'm dancing gourd, it feels sacred.".

:)

Kinda like saying, "You know...I go into buildings and they're nice, but....when I go into a church, it feels sacred.".

hehe

The gourd dance was 'revived' from extinction in the 50's, and some folks think that it was therefore 'created' in the 50's. It wasn't.

The Gourd Dance is ancient. Very. It died out in the late 30's and was 'revived' in the 50's.

Our Gourd Dance is part of the old Sun Dance and that is why it still 'feels' sacred. Because, in a very real way, it is.

I think many folks feel the importance of the dance, but don't know why.

Talking about dancing in the heat of the sun reminds us of those things.

Yes, it is hot.

Yes. :)
                              Scott Zotigh
                              Kiowa Black Leggings
                              Kiowa Gourd Clan
                              Kiowa Tiah Piah
                              Kiowa Marine Veterans
                              American Indian Veterans

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X