???:)???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ???:)???

Hey all! I have never heard of Gourd dancing before, could someone please tell me what it is, and maybe even give me some links for it! Thanks much.
    greg

Gourd Dancing

the roots of the Gourd Dance are here in Oklahoma. Many pow wows in this state begin an afternoon session with this warriors dance. The attire includes a sash, bandolier, a shaker (metal or gourd) and a dance fan. The best way to find out about the dance itself is to get the tape "Into the Circle," it might give you a better understanding of this Kiowa dance. Later, NDN:D

Comment

Greg, May I recommend that you go into some of the past threads to get more info on this. I'm trying to put you off but there has ben lots of conversation as to Gourd dancing in the past. We would be glad to talk with you about this honored dance.
      I believe that this is a regional dance for it's origin. I do know that many others do participate in it now. The originating Tribes have offered this dance to those of us that don't belong to the Tribe. I want to say thanks to you all.
      BOB

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• TacO5000
        Gourd dancing is not a veterans dance
        by TacO5000
        Everytime I read This post that you people put your always talking about the gourd dancing being a veterans dance, its not a veteran dance. I have roots in carnige and have also lived in carnige. Some of my family are members of the Kiowa Gourd Clan. It's a Kiowa dance, this is coming from a kiowa ...
        08-03-2003, 12:35 AM
      • GCane
        Gourd Dancing
        by GCane
        I was reading an article that said the only men who can gourd dance have to be veterans because traditionally it was only warriors who did the gourd dancing. I want to know if this is true because a good friend of mine has been gourd dancing for years and i know he never served in the armed forces....
        02-23-2006, 02:16 PM
      • LSS
        Prepared to Gourd Dance?
        by LSS
        I pulled this post from something Cherosage had posted some time ago (back in '03 I guess). And I wanted to ask, What makes a person properly prepared? Some questions to help get you all started....

Would that person need to know...
        * the history?
        * the songs?...
        03-21-2005, 05:28 AM
      • Josiah
        Encyclopedia version of the Gourd Dance
        by Josiah
        I surf the internet alot and occasional run across bits of information that i have to share.
        I was reading this entry in the encyclopedia and it struck me that there were things in here that I have never heard of!
        I am no expert and do not claim to know everything, that is not possible....
        08-02-2006, 01:36 PM
      • dougrh
        Gourd dance society gatherings
        by dougrh
        Hello all, This is Little White Mouse. I have been dancing as a gourd dancer since 2002 and live in Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada and would like to know if there are any gourd dance societies in Manitoba/Winnipeg/Canada and who I would contact in order to get involved.

If there are none...
        09-05-2006, 10:06 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X