Bill "Thuke" Koomsa Jr. on NAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill "Thuke" Koomsa Jr. on NAC

I just got a heads up that Thuke Koomsa was giving an interview about the gourd dance. This is the header on Native America Calling:

Monday, April 21, 2008 – Gourd Dancing Across Indian Country:

The gourd dance has become very popular and its reach has extended beyond the powwow trail. But what are its origins, where did it start, and why? The Kiowas began the gourd dance in the 1940’s, and it stemmed from their traditional Sun Dance ceremony. It has become something of a social dance these days and is now widely viewed as a dance to honor war veterans. But has the gourd dance strayed from its original meaning? Guests include Bill Koomsa, Jr., (Kiowa) a descendant of Kiowa Gourd Dance Chief Sitting Bear.

____

I listened in. Mr. Koomsa gave some very good information concerning gourd dance origin and history.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

what no link who? is it on the net I'd like to hear the interview...
    Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Finally somebody knowledgeable! Bill Koomsa Sr (Thukes father) was a significant figure in reviving the gourd dance.

Comment

http://www.nativeamericacalling.com/...apr/042108.m3u
        Scott Zotigh
        Kiowa Black Leggings
        Kiowa Gourd Clan
        Kiowa Tiah Piah
        Kiowa Marine Veterans
        American Indian Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
          I just got a heads up that Thuke Koomsa was giving an interview about the gourd dance. This is the header on Native America Calling
          Aside... that sounds like your dad singing in the intro and breaks... is it?
          Scott Zotigh
          Kiowa Black Leggings
          Kiowa Gourd Clan
          Kiowa Tiah Piah
          Kiowa Marine Veterans
          American Indian Veterans

Comment

Note:

My cousin calls in during the show to ask a question of our sehgee, Bill Koomsa, and he calls him 'dad' and our sehgee calls him in return, 'son'. That is appropriate Kiowa protocol for family relationships. Likewise, later on Bill's cousin from the much honoured Lone Wolf family calls in and calls him 'brother' and he calls her 'sister'. Because cousins in our tribe are brothers or sisters.

Bill Koomsa is our 'uncle'. But, in Kiowa relations there is no such designation. Our aunts and uncles are our fathers and mothers. Our cousins are our brothers and sisters.

Made me proud to hear them so seamlessly interact as we do in keeping with our custom.
            Last edited by Zotigh; 04-22-2008, 03:51 AM.
            Scott Zotigh
            Kiowa Black Leggings
            Kiowa Gourd Clan
            Kiowa Tiah Piah
            Kiowa Marine Veterans
            American Indian Veterans

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X