Gourd Dance is NOT a veteran's dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourd Dance is NOT a veteran's dance

Recently at a powwow in Oklahoma City, a well known Kiowa elder told the gourd dancers, "The gourd dance is not a veteran's dance, it is Tiah Piah - an ancient dance of the Kiowa."

During the 2005 National Powwow in Washington DC, the origins of powwow dancing were explained and the earliest form of each dance category was interpreted. During this time the person who explained the gourd dance said, "this is not a veteran's dance. It was a ceremonial dance."

Any comments?????
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    Recently at a powwow in Oklahoma City, a well known Kiowa elder told the gourd dancers, "The gourd dance is not a veteran's dance, it is Tiah Piah - an ancient dance of the Kiowa."

During the 2005 National Powwow in Washington DC, the origins of powwow dancing were explained and the earliest form of each dance category was interpreted. During this time the person who explained the gourd dance said, "this is not a veteran's dance. It was a ceremonial dance."

Any comments?????
    I was there that day and have heard this more than once, It seems I have been hearing this comment more and more around Oklahoma lately...
    I wonder How far outside of Oklahoma is this making it???
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

at Tahlequah last weekend a lady from Texas who had never been to a powwow before wanted to take my picture in between gourd sessions, she was really interested in what was going on. I told her what I know about the dance, but told her alot of people would call the gourd dance a veteran's dance, but it isn't, it's a man's dance. I always try to tell people that are curious about the dance it's origin and history, how it's more ceremonial and less powwow, what it is and what it isn't, to the best of my knowledge.
      Last edited by streamhawk; 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by streamhawk View Post
        at Tahlequah last weekend a lady from Texas who had never been to a powwow before wanted to take my picture in between gourd sessions, she was really interested in what was going on. I told her what I know about the dance, but told her alot of people would call the gourd dance a veteran's dance, but it isn't, it's a man's dance. I always try to tell people that are curious about the dance it's origin and history, how it's more ceremonial and less powwow, what it is and what it isn't, to the best of my knowledge.

Thank you, kohm(n).

It is through such efforts that our dance will be kept.
        Scott Zotigh
        Kiowa Black Leggings
        Kiowa Gourd Clan
        Kiowa Tiah Piah
        Kiowa Marine Veterans
        American Indian Veterans

Comment

I appreciate that Scott. It's taken quite some time talking to people, not only to find out what's correct and what's not, but to even find the right people to ask questions of to get the correct information. A long process, but worth the effort.

Comment

Question? I understand that this is not a veteran's dance in anyway and not related to veterans as well...why is it, that the gourd dancer's place patches of their military unit, the war's they have been in, and the award they receive on their regailia? I think, that is how the misunderstanding began, having it be related as a veterans dance/recognition....

2nd question, how is the gourd dancing a "man's" dance and what is the purpose/belief behind it?
            ...R0Ck$...

Comment

Originally posted by rocks_az View Post
              Question? I understand that this is not a veteran's dance in anyway and not related to veterans as well...why is it, that the gourd dancer's place patches of their military unit, the war's they have been in, and the award they receive on their regalia? I think, that is how the misunderstanding began, having it be related as a veterans dance/recognition....

2nd question, how is the gourd dancing a "man's" dance and what is the purpose/belief behind it?
              Read this post it is a history of the Gourd Dance written by Mr Zotigh...
              It explains alot of the history behind the gourd dance, the original society consisted of warriors and rough riders of the tribe which in todays modern society would be our veterans...
              It was a man's dance then and a man's dance today

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/gou...urd-dance.html
              Last edited by Josiah; 11-22-2008, 12:54 PM.
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.