The singing was top notch with three Cozad brothers sitting at the drum
    along with friends and relatives.

We have had several threads that have talked about the fact the gourd
    dance is changing because all things change and there is nothing we can
    do about it!
    Buh...

Its hard to see it from the viewpoint of someone standing in their arena
    surrounded with trees and an arbor stacked with brush for shade. With smoke
    from cook-fires the smell of kidneys roasting as a background.
    It's very evident in the manner of dress that they take this gift
    seriously. It's evident in the renewal of another generation by the many
    young boys who danced along side the men who have seen many a year on
    this earth. To say I enjoyed the atmosphere and the songs is an
    understatement. To me it was it was.... Heaven...
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Otoe Encampment Perception #2

Josiah,
    First, I want to say it was good to see you and the lady again. Good to dance with you again. Sharing that dance, in that arena. You know, it's Monday night, and I can still hear those songs, I still have that "feeling" with me. I can still feel the drum beat, like a clap of thunder.
    I agree with everything you say, with all my heart. Our dance is more than a "social" dance to us. It is a spiritual dance. And not in a "new-agey" kind of way either. Something ancient, cannot be "new-agey". It is a gift from above, like that. And like any gift, it should be treated as such.
    And like the MC said, any powwow you go to in the United States, has a form of our dance, and they do things differently. We do it the way we do it. We uphold those traditions and protocols to the best of our ability, so that our children, and our childrens children, will have this gift too.
    The hospitality and the friendliness of our Otoe friends is beyond compare. The encampment grounds and campsites are top notch, trees are beautiful, and the arena was a blessed place.
    The singers were excellent, so good, that the dancing was effortless. Just lean back, shake that gourd and feel the drum. I can't wait for next year....
    A-Ho! Kio-Manche
    Kio-Manche
    Oklahoma Proud!!!

Comment

Encampment was wonderful this year and I can't wait to for next year to come! My niece came for the second time and has been beging me ever since to teach her to dance so she can join in with the dancing. I love watching the dances especially since there are more of the younger people, like myself, joining the dances. It's good to see them learning the dances that have been a part of our culture for so long.
      Don't let your language die. Teach others about your native language.
      Mahashka

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
        Gourd Dance,

To the Otoe people it is something that taken very seriously which was
        evident after a weekend spent Gourd Dancing with them during their
        annual dance.

The singing was top notch with three Cozad brothers sitting at the drum
        along with friends and relatives.

We have had several threads that have talked about the fact the gourd
        dance is changing because all things change and there is nothing we can
        do about it!
        Buh...

Its hard to see it from the viewpoint of someone standing in their arena
        surrounded with trees and an arbor stacked with brush for shade. With smoke
        from cook-fires the smell of kidneys roasting as a background.
        It's very evident in the manner of dress that they take this gift
        seriously. It's evident in the renewal of another generation by the many
        young boys who danced along side the men who have seen many a year on
        this earth. To say I enjoyed the atmosphere and the songs is an
        understatement. To me it was it was.... Heaven...
        and don't forget sweat dripping down your face! awww I missed Otoe this year...
        The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
          and don't forget sweat dripping down your face! awww I missed Otoe this year...
          actually girl it got down in the 60's at night and did not quite get to 90 in the daytime.. the humidity was realll low and the breeze was blowing.. thought we were in southern ok..lol had to use blankets to sleep at night.. crazy weather for otoe but absolutely perfect..
          "finding your best friend in life and love is glorious"

Comment

Probably one of the coolest Encampments I've been to....and I've been going to Otoe for many YEARS!

Have to agree with you Josiah, can't beat the "camp" enviroment, sounds of children playing, people laughing, druming & dancing in the afternoon and the smell of food cooking over open fires.....ahhh!

I made a number of video tapes this year, having DVD's made and sending them to my son who is headed off to Afghanistan soon. Not only will he be in our thoughts & prayers, he'll have Otoe '09 to watch, listen & dance too while he's there!

Traditions.....keep them and keep them sacred!

I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.