Gourds vs cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourds vs cans

I know this has been eluded to many times in almost every thread going but I'm seeking thoughts about the Gourd vs the can. I personally have both. I understand the Gourd has a Church background, I too have a church gourd. I will use my Gourd at gourd dances. When did the can start to be used?
    BOB

Cans were first used as tourist trinkets and it slowly started being used as well.
    Now you can find even plastic ones that are very sellable for tourists!
    I have gourds that are coated in seven layers of feathers and the handles are from animals to show respect to the four leggeds that have died needlessly on our roads.
    Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
    Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
      Cans were first used as tourist trinkets and it slowly started being used as well.
      Now you can find even plastic ones that are very sellable for tourists!
      I have gourds that are coated in seven layers of feathers and the handles are from animals to show respect to the four leggeds that have died needlessly on our roads.
      Different set of circumstances when it comes to the Gourd Dance

As for any hard and fast rule I think its just been a matter of preference
      I know some that are NAC use there gourd in both the church and Gourd dance
      and others only use there cans at a gourd dance

personally i like the sound of many cans at a gourd dance it makes a very distinct sound
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

As far as origin goes I have heard a few different stories but the one that seems to come up the most is that in the late 1800's fellas would steal the cans out of one of the forts or trading posts- so it became a sign of slyness that you could get a can.
        Not sure if it is true, but it makes sense and sense kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by legalstraight View Post
          As far as origin goes I have heard a few different stories but the one that seems to come up the most is that in the late 1800's fellas would steal the cans out of one of the forts or trading posts- so it became a sign of slyness that you could get a can.
          I remembered when I got a 1800 it came in a bottle! whee! lol!

Last time i tried to steal a can, my hand got slapped! whee! lol!

Verrry Interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by legalstraight View Post

>>> I HEARD

That some fella in the 1900's was sittin' in "the can" and came up with this great idea of how to make a new rattle....
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I thought it was like when electricity came to guitars, some guy wanted a louder rattle that would really rock!!

Comment

No, it was that time when I used my "Gourd" and made biscuits using the milk out of the milnot "Can". This is what what we're talking about, eh?!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X