Clear All

• Gorget

Hello i am twenty
    and have enlisted in the navy
    i am a gourd dancer and a fancy dancer
    recently i have received a copper gorget as a present for enlisting
    but i don't know if i can use it gourd dancing
    any thoughts?

I would think that it should hold up well, especially if you use the Garnets or some soft agent inside. If you use anything hard it will make obvious denting impressions.

If you keep it clean and shiny it would be a very nice piece. I would like to see it when you get it set up.
    BOB

Comment

Originally posted by Littlecat View Post
      Hello i am twenty
      and have enlisted in the navy
      i am a gourd dancer and a fancy dancer
      recently i have received a copper gorget as a present for enlisting
      but i don't know if i can use it gourd dancing
      any thoughts?
      Many folks wear their military decorations on their Gourd Dance clothes. The gorget is a mini metal breastplate of sorts that I've seen many times being worn on top of bone breastplates. Looks kinda kewl.

http://www.sunrisedrum.com/gorget1.jpg
      Scott Zotigh
      Kiowa Black Leggings
      Kiowa Gourd Clan
      Kiowa Tiah Piah
      Kiowa Marine Veterans
      American Indian Veterans

Comment

littlecat

here are some pictures of my rattle fan and gorget
        http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...0/IMG_0466.jpg
        http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...0/IMG_0464.jpg
        http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...0/IMG_0461.jpg
        another question ow do i go about wearing it should i attach a chain or leather thong on it and just wear it around my neck?

Comment

You could do either or for the chain/thong. I would personally go with a leather thong w/ beads like what Zotigh posted. I believe that the southeastern tribes wore them more often than other tribes.

Comment

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you raised it

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Suzizila
              sewing with real sinew
              by Suzizila
              Hello all of you crafty people......I'm back, after not posting for a long while. Just last week, I went to a store on the east side of Cincinnati, where there were all sorts of traditional supplies.....one being real sinew. I had never tried using real sinew & thought I would give it a try. Has...
              07-21-2011, 03:28 PM
            • ~*~MizzQaqimat~*~
              Applique Question
              by ~*~MizzQaqimat~*~
              Hey y'all, since being in Canada, I've noticed that a lot of people in this area use that glitter glue paint to seal the edges of their applique, instead of stitching it. I never noticed that before back in the US. I asked someone, and she said that since they don't have dance comps in this area,...
              07-12-2006, 10:52 PM
            • CHEROSAGE
              Gourds vs cans
              by CHEROSAGE
              I know this has been eluded to many times in almost every thread going but I'm seeking thoughts about the Gourd vs the can. I personally have both. I understand the Gourd has a Church background, I too have a church gourd. I will use my Gourd at gourd dances. When did the can start to be used?
              11-17-2009, 03:49 AM
            • Privateer6
              Linings
              by Privateer6
              Ok folks a question on lining the leggings and clout, or aprons, of the suit. Looking around the net for some ideas for ribbonwork colors, I noticed that one person puts a lining in the straight dance suits she makes "to prevent stretching, skin irritation and sweat damage to wool." How many...
              05-15-2006, 09:20 PM
            • yellowhawk33
              Gourd Dancing
              by yellowhawk33
              Got a question for the group. I had a little discussion among a friend of mine regarding Gourd Dancing. I have always helped my dad in his Fry Bread booth and thus never really danced any, just mainly two steps and things like that, but nothing serious. Well, my question is this: I am not a veteran...
              12-17-2002, 11:48 AM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X