Gourd Dance in Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourd Dance in Indiana

All gourd dancers our invited to the 6th annual White Star Gourd Dance Society Gourd Dance. Here is a link. Eric Lassiter will be our head singer.

CEM

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/pw_...p?eventid=2134

_____

Way to go Eric!!!!!!!!

Eric's also got two books out titled, "The Power of Kiowa Song"(University of Arizona Press, 1998) and "The Jesus Road" (Bison Books, 2002).

And yes, I AM his agent. *L
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Thanks to everyone that came to our dance on Saturday. In talking with one of our headmen we are optimistic that we can donate between $600 and $1000 to the Kiowa Education Fund.

The singing was great. Eric Lassiter did a great job leading the songs. I think we had about 18 gourd dancers in the afternoon.

I was very happy about all of the people that dressed and danced in the evening for the intertribal sessions. Thanks to Chris Bell for cooking the meal and to everyone that brought side dishes and desserts. I could go on and on about all of the people that helped out. You know who you are. Thanks!

This dance was probably our biggest and best one yet. I'll post something once we get more details about our 2004 dance.

CEM

Comment

eric lassiter

Were there any Kiowas there?

Eric is not a Kiowa, he's a white guy.

Comment

Any Kiowas there?

Originally posted by monie
          Were there any Kiowas there?

Eric is not a Kiowa, he's a white guy.
          That may be...but he's a good singer and well-liked by many people in Kiowa country. I've seen his name listed as a relative on Kiowa obituaries, and I've seen/heard him start family songs of prominent Kiowa people at dances such as Murrow's. Why put him down as a "white guy"? Besides, Eric simply considers himself a singer.

Maybe Ball State and OU can host a conference where such matters as these can be discussed...some place central in Kiowa country...like SKI-BOY? AYYE!
          Buh!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X