dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dress

HEY JUST TRYIN TO GET A NEW TOPIC GOIN ON THIS opps let me unlock my caps,whats the proper dress when gourd dancing i heard your not supposed to where hats and a bunch of other stuff so any body know about it
    sup

Depends when and where. But you know that... :c2:

Where I usually go, it's pretty strict: long sleeves, collar, long pants, no hats, mocassins preferably. Good dress, you know? Of course, a formal or annual is different than a benefit, too. Some places, anything goes: shorts, cowboy hats, ball caps, beer t-shirts with the sleeves ripped off (ayee).

Comment

Gourd Dance Attire

Where I've danced (Oklahoma, 4 Corners, & south-east U.S.) standard attire includes a ribbon shirt with dress slacks preferred over blue jeans. Shoes don't seem to matter - most wear cowboy boots or just street shoes, although I've seen some moccisons. Except at a few wicipi in Oklahoma, very few hats of any kind were worn. The exceptions seem to be cowboy hats with beaded sweatbands or baseball caps with clan decorations. Personally I dance bare-headed. Many times I've seen dancers without the traditional 2-strand bandoleer or velvet, fringed waist sashes. The only thing that seems essential is the red and blue shoulder blanket, a shaker a fan, and of course, a good heart.

Comment

Around Comanche Country, most wear long sleeve white dress shirts, and slacks, and sometimes moccasins. A few occasionly wear traditonal dress. I am told that you should at least wear a long sleeve shirt.
        Aki-sha

Comment

When I was younger and did not appreciate what my family elders were saying, yet still remember now what they said..."Dress your best!"

Basically, your 'best' clothes. Don't know what that translates into whatever your 'today' is.

But, whatever your interpretation of 'best' is. Hope your 'best' is not equal to our "sadly hobo-like". This forum will judge that later.

I know my grandmother would roll over if I didn't wear mocs. Yet I could wear modern dress slacks and dress shirt with the rest of the regalia. (Just like a woman to focus on the shoes...hehe).
          Scott Zotigh
          Kiowa Black Leggings
          Kiowa Gourd Clan
          Kiowa Tiah Piah
          Kiowa Marine Veterans
          American Indian Veterans

Comment

I presonally wear dress slacks good shoes or mocs, ribbon shirt
            No head wear
            bandolear made from mescal beans and silver beads
            Gourd blanket and sash
            Fan and Gourd of course

But some societies wear matching clothes usually white long sleeve shirts and dress slacks
            sometimes a vest that has there clan symbol

I was taught that this is a very dignified dance and should be dressed accordingly...
            Although I have seen Cowboy hats worn, ballcaps are usually asked to be removed.
            I was home on leave from the Navy long ago and wore my full uniform.
            Which included my dixie cup but I removed that when I came out into the arena to dance gourd...
            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
            Till I Die!

Comment

About hats...

My Great-grandfather was one of the revivalists of the Gourd Dance, and he loved his hats...as seen in his pictures at http://www.zotigh.com but, I doubt he wore them during the dance.

I love my hats, too. But, I take mine off if I step into the circle.

And...ballcaps to dance? lol
              Last edited by Zotigh; 10-21-2005, 01:53 AM.
              Scott Zotigh
              Kiowa Black Leggings
              Kiowa Gourd Clan
              Kiowa Tiah Piah
              Kiowa Marine Veterans
              American Indian Veterans

Comment

no hats!

Thanks Scott. This has always been a pet pieve of mine. Dancers that usually really don't know will wear a hat usually a western hat and sometimes a ball cap. I won't wear mine though I have plenty.
                BOB

Comment

Silver in Bandoleer

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                  I presonally wear dress slacks good shoes or mocs, ribbon shirt
                  No head wear
                  bandolear made from mescal beans and silver beads
                  Gourd blanket and sash
                  Fan and Gourd of course

But some societies wear matching clothes usually white long sleeve shirts and dress slacks
                  sometimes a vest that has there clan symbol

I was taught that this is a very dignified dance and should be dressed accordingly...
                  Although I have seen Cowboy hats worn, ballcaps are usually asked to be removed.
                  I was home on leave from the Navy long ago and wore my full uniform.
                  Which included my dixie cup but I removed that when I came out into the arena to dance gourd...
                  Does anyone know why strictly silver is used?

Thanks for any explaination you may have.
                  Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuj510 View Post
                    Does anyone know why strictly silver is used?

Thanks for any explaination you may have.
                    My understanding is that long ago a Kiowa war party captured a Mule train carrying silver coins. Having no concept of money as such, they fashioned cunning things out of them like cones,beads and other articles of jewelry. So the silver beads represent a war trophy from that battle...
                    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                    Till I Die!

Comment

Deleted
                      Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 08:15 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

Thanks, man!

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                        My understanding is that long ago a Kiowa war party captured a Mule train carrying silver coins. Having no concept of money as such, they fashioned cunning things out of them like cones,beads and other articles of jewelry. So the silver beads represent a war trophy from that battle...
                        Josiah comes through again-thanks, bud! I appreciate your setting me straight on that one.
                        Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by r i whiteside View Post
                          except at a few wicipi in oklahoma, very few hats of any kind were worn.

Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by the keenest View Post
                            whats the proper dress when gourd dancing
                            well........I guess one of the little black numbers, they're supposed to be good for any occasion aren't they? I don't wear a dress however.

sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X