Women Dancing Grass?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women Dancing Grass?????

I Know We have been thro this a million times.
    What is your opinion, Should they allow female Grass Dancers?
    And why or why not?
    If hey allow Female Grass Dancers where at?
    I know we have female hoop dancers, whats he differance?
    Would someone jus le me know PLEASE
    YES
    32.61%
    NO
    34.78%
    unsure
    6.52%
    depending
    26.09%

The poll is expired.

I’m here without you baby but your still on my lonely mind
    I think about you baby and I dream about you all the time
    I’m here without you baby but your still with me in my dreams
    And tonight it’s only you and me

If We Change Traditions Just To Meet Our Own Wants
    And The Next Generation Follows And The Next And So On Then We Have Changed Who We Are. Why Twist The Ways That Have Kept Us Together Through Times That Would Have Ended Any Other Culture? We Should Be Proud Of Way We Were Created. And Should Honor The Ones Who Died To Keep Our Ways. Even If We Borrow Those Ways From Another Tribe, People Have Died For Those Ways And Who Are We To Change Them Just Because We Feel Like It.

But What Do I Know Im Just A Pitiful Human Being

Comment

jus somethin to think about....

i read about it in a book "The Grass Dancer" forgot the author, but i thought it was interesting...

i have switch danced a few times, but wouldnt grass for a whole powwow... not that i dont kick ***... hahaaha
      Last edited by MissFancyChick; 09-27-2005, 03:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
      Love the Dance...
      Feel the Drum

Comment

think about this 4 a moment

After attending sevral Fl. Pow-Wows, I have noted, we have young men wanting to learn
        how to Grass Dance, but do to Military service and getting injured and having to live the white man's
        world part of the time, we have NO Grass Dancer's left. BUT we have sevral Fancy Shawl Dancer's
        who know a lot about the Grass Dance, the history and moves. If we lose all of our Grass dancing men
        to the Military, who will teach the young boys? or are the Grass Dancer's going to be gone for good?
        if anyhing, Women should have at least the right to teach the younger boys, with premion from an Elder.
        even if they are aloud that, it would be at least a way to keep the grass dance alive. I would not care if
        a woman had the right given to her to dance in the circle, but at least give her he right to teach the younger
        children.
        I’m here without you baby but your still on my lonely mind
        I think about you baby and I dream about you all the time
        I’m here without you baby but your still with me in my dreams
        And tonight it’s only you and me

Comment

The book is by Susan Power... its a great book !!
          Love the Dance...
          Feel the Drum

Comment

naw its just not a thing to do....its like a woman wearing mens pants ...okay thats a poor anaology but ya get the drift...*lol* but im just saying its a mens dance and should stay that way...its like a man wearing a jingle dress...now that aint right

Comment

I wanted to learn Grass, but was told I couldn't. But I heard of woman, a yoiung woman who is a drumkeeper on the west coast in Canada. Htere never has beena woman's drunkeepr there before i don't think, but it was the only way to keep tradition alive. i don't know. I wanted to dance grass ever since I was little. But I dance fancy shawl. I didn't say much, just what I heard, keep traditions alive. There are a lot of grass dancers here in Canada. well, form where I am from anyways.

Comment

Ingor my last posts typos...

I wanted to learn Grass, but was told I couldn't. But I heard of woman, a young woman who is a drumkeeper on the west coast in Canada. There never has been a woman's drumkeeper there before i don't think, but it was the only way to keep tradition alive. i don't know. I wanted to dance grass ever since I was little. But I dance fancy shawl.

I didn't say much, just what I heard, keep traditions alive. There are a lot of grass dancers here in Canada. well, form where I am from anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache_Fancy_Shawl
                  After attending sevral Fl. Pow-Wows, I have noted, we have young men wanting to learn
                  how to Grass Dance, but do to Military service and getting injured and having to live the white man's
                  world part of the time, we have NO Grass Dancer's left. BUT we have sevral Fancy Shawl Dancer's
                  who know a lot about the Grass Dance, the history and moves. If we lose all of our Grass dancing men
                  to the Military, who will teach the young boys? or are the Grass Dancer's going to be gone for good?
                  if anyhing, Women should have at least the right to teach the younger boys, with premion from an Elder.
                  even if they are aloud that, it would be at least a way to keep the grass dance alive. I would not care if
                  a woman had the right given to her to dance in the circle, but at least give her he right to teach the younger
                  children.
                  I would Like to say that I admire your Passion To keep the Grass dance alive in florida. But it Is a Mens/boys Dance. Ihave taught many Boys Up here In Missouri How to dance. and I would be More Than Happy To come down there to help out in anyway pssible with The younger generation. But The Only thing Keeping Me back Is The money To Travle the food and lodging. if someone can help me out with That i will Be More Than Happy To go and teach.I fou want you can Contact me at [email protected]

Comment

yea

i know of one female grass dancer shes pretty good and the only reason she dances it is this, it is where her heart is at. she got prem. from elders to do it and she kicks***
                    lil josh

Comment

Traditions

Nawa! Che'sikik,
                      There is no tradition that says only men/boys are Grass Dancers. The origins of the Grass Dance are unknown but some think from traditional dances of the Omaha and others say it is a version of the Pawnee Hot Dance. There were woman in both traditional dances of the Omaha and Pawnee that have ties to the contemporary Grass Style. There are no set roles in pow-wow dancing it is diverse in each tribe.

Kit'Chiit'tawakki, Kitkehahki Band, Pawnee

Comment

I am a grass dancer. it is the only style I have ever really danced. Here in Aabama, there is at least one lady grass dancer that I know personally. She was asked to dance by an elder, and she asked her elders for permission before she even began her regalia. I know that she only dances when there is a male dancer in the circle, and she askes permission from the dancers and AD before she enters. I do not have a problem with this because she is young, and being taught the propper way.

Comment

I too beleive women should be able to grass dance. No one says anything to a woman hoop dancer and it came from the grass dance. I beleive if she can pray on that circle and to grandfather why not give her the right to dance grass. My daughter was ask by her elder to dance grass because she feels that she gives her good medicine every time she is out there with me. And yes this is my daughter that dances grass in honor of me and her grandmother. I am a grass dancer also

Comment

wait..

Originally posted by MissFancyChick
                            The book is by Susan Power... its a great book !!
                            Ain't that the "STOP THE INSANITY!" woman from the early 90's?

Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

another thought...

ct
                              Last edited by tsuj510; 02-23-2009, 03:55 AM. Reason: ,.
                              Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.