Need Help/Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help/Advice

I want to make my son a Grass Dancer outfit, but don't have a clue what I should use. What is better for Sesame Street size Dancers? Is it a good idea to make the outfit a little bigger?

I my opinion

Yes, it would be better to make things bigger.

I would also suggest making as much of it "detachable" as possible. For example - make the fringe in strips and then use velcro, safety pins, snaps, or something similar to attach it to a shirt and the pants or shorts. Use ribbon/cloth work to overlap where the fringe is attached. This way you can detach the fringe and wash the rest of the clothes. It is a pain to dry out the fringe. Also, if he, or you decide you don't like the colors, you don' t have to redo everything. Or down the road he could grow into a larger shirt and maybe not have to redo all the fringe.

One other method I have seen has been to make a yoke for the top with the fringe attache and then a front and back yoke for the bottom that over lap. Similar to the two piece breech clouts. Then a tshirt and shorts/pants underneath in a matching color. Down the road, you can sew fringe onto the bottom of the shorts. for the lower legs.

I hope this helps.

jwaggoner
    Last edited by Dawg Stylez; 01-06-2003, 05:27 PM.
    J~Dawg - the one and only!!!
    In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

good idea, waggoner, but have you thought about what would happen if you were dancing you hardest. the fringe might come off.

Comment

Thanks that really helps. I guess that means the little guys get dirty really fast, too.

Comment

Believe me, I make sure everything is well attached. I have more of the Yoke / panel configuration - the fringe is sewn into the fabric. I am not really growing up anymore - but for a little guy starting out, I think a combination of Velcro / Snaps would probably work well.
          I am trying to figure out how to make a "reversible" regalia - so I could change the colors around. The best Idea I have seen was a guy who had two seperate panels - each one solid color - and he wore one on top of the other. Like White with Royal Blue under it. Then he could change it around so the blue was on top, with the white under it. I thought it was just to many pieces to possibly fall off, though.

When he gets a little bit bigger, ReneRose, there are some patterns out there, as well. For now - there are some good pictures around that you can get ideas from.

jwaggoner
          J~Dawg - the one and only!!!
          In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X