Grass Dance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass Dance!

I am a 15 year old who was asked if I would like to learn the Grass Dance. I said yes of course! But now because of hip problems I cant until next summer, that leaves lots of time for my regalia. I have a pattern, but im not sure what to wear under, what kind of pants should i wear? should I wear something like a Ribbion Shirt for the shirt? Any suggestions would be great! thanks!
    greg

Theres about as many ways to answers those questions as there are people to answer it. Are you gonna use yarn or ribbon or a combonation? I know people who just wear a cape and nothing under it. You can wear a ribbon shirt or a t-shirt under your cape. You can sew the yarn directly to the shirt. As for pants, I've seen yarn sewn on sweat pants, jeans, and pants that you sew from the pattern you've got. I used a jump suit and sewed the yarn directly to it. Sewed across the front and back. Then down the legs and around the knee. Then just made front and back aprons. It was really easy to put on just jumped in it zipped it up and was ready to go. Makes things easy if your running late for grand entry. Browse the archives there should be some advice in there somewhere. Also look at the pictures in the archives, to get ideas don't steal anyones designs and don't make an exact copy of someone's regalia. Make yours unique make it your own. When someone sees you they should know it's you by only looking at your regalia. Get a good color scheme. Learn to dance and have fun out there.

Comment

TX_ grass_dancer did YOU sew?

Did YOU sew the jumpsuit or have your mom do it ?????

Comment

Thanks alot "Tx_grass_dancer"! The whole jump suit idea is a really great one. Dont worry, I am going to make it origional, I have chosen what my main colors will be, but i have not decided what to put on for bead work, I cant make up my mind! Thanks again!:)
        greg

Comment

I made my "pants" into leggings so i can wear washable "hospital pants" underneath. Those white drawstring pants that doctors wear.

My top is a yoke so i just wear a t-shirt underneath or recently a fancy flame shirt.
          There are 2 types of people in the world...
          Really stupid people who think they are smart
          and
          Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Wow, the ideas are really good, none of my family really want to act on our native american Heritage so im going to be doing the regalia pretty much totally alone, but the ideas given dont seem as hard as I thought it would be to make the regalia. I know it is a lot of work, but im alright with that and ready to get started! Thanks.
            greg

Comment

Any other ideas, links, or anything would be greatly appriciated!!! I would also like to know what exactly I will need, Roach? And what is a "mirror board"???
              greg

Comment

Yes you will need a roach. A mirrorboard is what it sounds like. It is a hand-held board with a mirror attached to it, and brass tack decorations. I made a quick one foor my little brother out of a cutting board and it turned out ok. Personaly I don't use a mirror board its too heavy and cumbersome. I carry a fur wrapped hoop and a fan. Heres a pic of a mirror board so you can get an Idea of what it is. I've mostly seen straight dancers using them though.
                Attached Files

Comment

Cape and aprons front and back seem obvious, i use nike windbreaker pants and sew yarn around the knee of those i liked them cause you can get them in almost any color. Belt and side tabs(drops) also some dancers wear wide colorful suspenders to tuck into their belt.. those are the basic things i can think of off the top of my head. good luck dance hard.
                  " I will now tell of dancing and how many men and women among you have no interest in it. Many of you who dance know the beauty of it, and know that it is the highest form of enjoyment. What evil things you had planned to do, you will not do. You will keep your mind on only the dancing and your body will be well; it will not be fat...whoever dances is never sick as long as he dances. Going to dances is good fun. If someone does not do this, I don't know why he is on earth... While you are alive, you will give homage to the Great Spirit, and you will do favors for others, and then you will enjoy yourself. IF ONE DOES NOT DO THESE THINGS, HE WILL EXPLODE WITHIN HIMSLEF. These three things are the highest in law. Realize this. These things are highest in law.So be it.
                  ---(Black Bear, 1976)---

Comment

you dont really need any hand held items but a fan. most contemporary guys dont carry anything because they get more energetic and wacky than most fancy dancers. the less things you are holding thes less the chance you will drop something.

when i started grass dancing about 10 years ago, a fan and a fur wrapped "medicine wheel" and some hankies were the norm.
                    There are 2 types of people in the world...
                    Really stupid people who think they are smart
                    and
                    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Thanks, yea i didnt think that many Grass Dancers use Mirror boards, but I do have a fan, and I am going to use the Hankie ideas, thanks people.
                      greg

Comment

Just a quick question, i have noticed that alot of been refering to the regalia as an outfit, is that what you call the Grass dance regalia? I didnt know if regalia was the right word for this type of regalia. THANKS!
                        greg

Comment

Regalia? What's that?

Hang around this message board and you'll see that topic come up again. Some people call it regalia, because they don't want to offend others by calling the outfit a costume. Others don't see any offense in the word costume. As someone else stated recently, the word costume technically refers to any complete ensemble of clothing - whether it is a Doctor's uniform, a fashion model's outfi, or a tuxedo, or jeans & a t-shirt. But, others have pointed out that the word regalia is French for 'costume' - go figure. Most people call their dance clothes, simply 'my dance clothes' or 'my dance outfit'.
                          Either way works.
                          Good luck & health with the hip!

Scott
                          Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Quick to judge,
                          Quick to anger,
                          Slow to understand
                          Ignorance and prejudice
                          And fear walk hand in hand.
                          --Neal Peart(from the song Witch Hunt)

Comment

Ok, I get it. Thanks.
                            greg

Comment

My pants were hand made with the yarn and ribbon sowed into it with a hidden pocket for my pouch but go with the style that's yours keep them loose enough to bend and tear it up.
                              We want a lady on the streets but a freak in the bed!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X