Which is better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better

I am making outfits for my sons. would it be better to use ribbon or yarn fringe? Plus, how long should it be?
    Last edited by Majii; 07-09-2003, 02:25 PM.

I prefer yarn personally
    This is the worst signature ever.

Comment

I thought about yarn and I got to thinking that one of my son's is 5 and he likes to run around and you know how grass, sticks and twigs like to attach to yarn.

I'm still trying to figure out what I need to make and how to make it. Right now I'm just going by watching what other grass dancer's outfits are like. So I'm playing it by what I see. I'm still trying to figure out the pants thing and where to put the fringe.

Comment

haha, good point. As for how to make an outfit, I'm not really sure either. But I'm sure there's plenty of folks around here that could help you out :)
        This is the worst signature ever.

Comment

Majii, to tell ya the truth both have their good and bad. Yarn is pretty cheap to get and an inexspensive way to get a good look, the only draw back is that its for a child and once in a while their gonna fall, so the maintence on the yarn will be a little higher. The ribbon you can get a great look with and it doesn't catch and carry everything that yarn does, although it cost more and you have to use more to get the same yarn look effect, another draw back is its a childs outfit which means they won't be using it that long so spending alot of money with ribbon would be kinda pointless unless there is another child that might be able to use it or have it passed on to them.
          There should be a law against stupid people being able to breed!

Comment

I've been looking at yarn to do my 8 year old son's first outfit. But I have also considered using 4" chainette fringe and doubling it when I sew it down. Both are pretty cheap. I'll probally go with the yarn though. By the time he makes a mess of the yarn it will probally be getting too small anyway.
            The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
            -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

I have made 4 for my son and have used yarn on all of them...they do pick up everything and around here in the south the powwows have a bad habit of putting down saw dust or straw in the circle sometimes...this is a mess!! anyway...the last one I made I used baby yarn ,with the satin woven in, because it was shiney and pretty...BIG mistake...don't ever use the baby yarn!!! it fusses out bad!! I think they are all pretty fringe, ribbon but I love the way the yarn moves...so I will probably keep using that!!! good luck!!

Comment

My son had two yarn outfits and they had a nice look. He had all white with some color in the ribbons but you see lots of things.

His most recent outfit uses ribbons. We had to use a lot ot get the look but it turned out nice.

You asked about he length. Depends on the size of the kid but if it is too short that does nto look good. Maybe someone will measure? I forgot the length after the outfit was finished.
                Brian

Comment

ribbon looks way better than yarn

Comment

Compromise and use ribbon on the upper and yarn on the lower.
                    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I use both with a bit of ribbon mixed in to ascent the yarn. But use a good yarn so it don't fray bro it happens it happened on my first outfit.
                      We want a lady on the streets but a freak in the bed!

Comment

I just finished my son's first grass outfit. I used one layer of white "Red Heart yarn". Man did it turn out real nice. I put a pic in the gallery, soon as webbie posts it I'll put a link up.
                        The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                        -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

I decided to use ribbon for now for my 5 yr old. It's under construction as we speak. I'll give him yarn when he knows enough not to horse around in the outfit. My older son, he's 12, I will use yarn for him. But he'll have to wait until I'm finished with the younger one first.

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X