Ribbon or Yarn...What do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbon or Yarn...What do you prefer?

I have seen a lot of ribbon on grass outfits. What do YOU prefer and why?
    http://www.iconarchive.com/ Hey check out this page the Native American icons under CULTURE. They are free to download. They have different tribes.

I am torn between both!
    Attached Files
    http://www.iconarchive.com/ Hey check out this page the Native American icons under CULTURE. They are free to download. They have different tribes.

Comment

i have both on my outfit the shirt has ribbon and the pants and aprin lol have yarn
      say this out loud 5 times fast(I AM SOFA KING WE TODD ED)

laughter is the most powerful thing in the world

Comment

Hey your workin' both LOL:Chatter

Comment

I'm using ribbon. Don't have to worry as much about getting rubish all tangled up in it or any of the ribbon knotting up. And gonna be alot cooler on the body in the sun then 100lbs of yarn keeping the heat trapped. Only down fall to ribbon is you have to use more to get the same full effect as yarn, and you have to sew the heck out of it to make sure you don't turn out like a lawn mower when ya dancing and ribbon flying out everywhere.
          There should be a law against stupid people being able to breed!

Comment

I used to prefer ribbon when I was in teens because that was the in thing at that time.....now I prefer Yarn....with some ribbon...

Comment

I seen both but I don't know I think each taste is a combo on the patterns used and colors. I know I thought of all the aspects before I settled on one thing. I have yarn but ribbon is cool.

Comment

I use both ribbon and yarn in combonation and i'm going to add flat shawl fringe to add more flowq in the upper and mibody section.

Comment

Mom of a grass dancer...my thoughts

Ok I'm not a grass dancer, just a Mom of a grass dancer. I like using yarn when I make my son's regalia. It's the fullness that I like about the yarn look. I'd add a photo but I can't seem to figure that out.
                  Suzze
                  Last edited by SuzzeQ4; 11-07-2006, 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I'm making my lil tiny tot's grass regalia and I am using yarn. It looks so much fuller and it is cheaper to get that "full" effect. I am accenting everything with ribbon though, I like the way the silky ribbon accents the yarn, it doesn't make it look so "rough"...lol.

Comment

I perfer yarn. It is true that yarn traps heat and gets tangled easily but I think it looks much better when you dance. I love the way the yarn moves, it's like a hypnotic kind of thing...yeah...weird.

-- Hey Victor! What do you know about fire? --
                      Dance for the creator.

Love, peace, & frybread grease.

Comment

I've seen some dancers use fabric strips instead of yarn or ribbon.

What kind of fabric is used for that? How to keep the edges from fraying?

Comment

I use rags.

Broadcloth ripped (not cut) and de-frayed. You have to take time to cut out the loose threads to give it that neat tidy look.

Comment

i danc egraas but i am torn between both, i like the way ribbon looks but i like the way yarn moves, so now i use a combo of both

Comment

With both there are some down sides. The ribbon has to be cut and the edges burned in order to stop fraying. The yarn has to be brushed through because it tends to collect foxtails and bits of grass.-- Both make for really nice outfits.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X