Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regalia design query - Sorry for the drama in the other thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regalia design query - Sorry for the drama in the other thread!

Hello. I was wondering if there was some kind of resource with some design ideas for a Cherokee grass dance regalia. I have a pretty good idea of what I want, but I am by no means artistic.

I don't plan on formally entering prize winning contests. I just enjoy the dancing and the culture, so I don't need an award winning design.

I'd like red and gold, with some sort of flying eagle motif in white and black.
    If you could send links to a few sites, I would be most appreciative.
    I'm going to have someone make it for me, so I don't have to worry about the sewing part (even though I have always wanted to try sewing! I'm male!)

BTW, my name is a Tibetan name that I received in a Kansas City train station, by sand painting monks.
    I am not Buddhist, I used to be, but I never officially followed it. It was more like a good advice sort of thing, if you know what I mean.

My grandmother was always a traditionalist, and she taught me many things about the Cherokee culture. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2000, and I left the spirituality for about 5 years. Recently, I basically rediscovered some of the things she taught me over the years, as well as my heritage. I've known that I was native my whole life, but it never really "clicked" until now. I guess it's just memories flooding back. It's been nearly 10 years. I really miss her. I have tried to save whatever relics she had, but alot of that stuff disappeared.

I have talked to my family about honouring our culture, but they don't seem to care about it anymore. We used to go to the lake and have a family reunion, complete with a kind of mini- pau-wau private to our family.

They say its too expensive to go to Talequah anymore.

Has anyone of you feel like your family's culture is leaking away, and you're the only person who even cares, or even knows.

I do.

Thanks for the help,
    Jamling

genius... pure and simple genius.

Comment

Originally posted by jorbathehutt View Post
      I was wondering if there was some kind of resource with some design ideas for a Cherokee grass dance regalia.

Jamling

Jamling,

"Siyo!

Cherokee Grass Dance regalia is very similar to Chickasaw Grass Dance regalia. Perhaps you can find your missing link there?

Wado n'
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

but remember, Yuchi and Creek are not the same, so their grass dance traditions will be different.

didn't sequoyah put out a grass dance book back in the 1800s?

Comment

Thanks for being respectful. I don't know what I was thinking earlier, but anyway, I didn't know Sequoyah did a book on dancing! Think that's interesting, if it's true.

Regarding the grass dance, here is a video of a Cherokee grass dance, the dancer is just awsome!

Grass Dance

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
            Jamling,

"Siyo!

Cherokee Grass Dance regalia is very similar to Chickasaw Grass Dance regalia. Perhaps you can find your missing link there?

Wado n'
            I thought Chickasaw were Chicken dancers, and Choctaw were grass. Traditionally speaking of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
              ...didn't sequoyah put out a grass dance book back in the 1800s?

Iowa,

He started on one when he was headed into Mexico to find his long lost Cherokee relatives who went south durning the infamous - Trail of Tears. Once he left the grasslands of the original Cherokee grass dance country, he ran out of things to write about.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                Iowa,

... Once he left the grasslands of the original Cherokee grass dance country, he ran out of things to write about.
                However, he did post a couple of Videos on youtube, along with the traditional hoop dance.
                Try searching in youtube , enter the Tsalagi spelling for Grass dancer.
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

You need to study the construction and style of the tear dress. It is intrinsically related to traditional Cherokee grass dance regalia. Of course there was no yarn to be utilized, so the cloth on shirts and leggings were torn to create and simulate the swaying southeastern grass.

Nowadays you see grass dancers with cloth strips on their outfit rather than yarn, and this shows the influence of the Cherokee grass dance style of regalia. The modern ribbon shirt is also a throwback to a way or showing your status as a Cherokee grass dancer while not actually wearing your outfit if you were not at a dance. All could see your ribbon shirt, and KNOW that you were of the Cherokee grass dance society.

If you are serious, you should inquire about this society within Cherokee communities. However I would spend time getting to know the elders first so they get to know you and trust you. Visit with them, help them out with what ever tasks you can, groceries, whatever it is that you can before bringing up these types of questions. The subject is a serious one, and information will not be shared with just anyone. If you just rush in with questions you will reach nothing but closed doors, misinformation, and denial as this is sensitive information not to be shared lightly, or with just anyone. Good luck, and go about this in a humble way. Also, Whome and Iowaboy really know their stuff, and have posted very good information. I have seen the book they are speaking of, and it has a wealth of information. Even if you cannot read Cherokee, there are pretty good illustrations.

(ps, the Seminole style of grass dance regalia is somewhat similar, however is a much more colorful and incorporates some really nice patchwork!)

Comment

I know about the Seminole. Their stuff is really beautiful. It looks like it is VERY hard work! I could see someone working on theirs for years before they do anything with it.

I haven't really gotten into the 'noles though. I have Cherokee blood, and I have my family that taught me some of the traditions.

My card says Cherokee-Seminole, but I don't think I can become a citizen of the Oklahoma Seminole Nation because, when I called them, I mentioned my grandparents CDIB, and they could not find it in the system.

If you have two tribes listed on your CDIB, are you allowed to become citizens of either, or can you only join the nation that your original acestor enrolled in?

Comment

Oh my, what's that smell? Is something burning?

I have a card that says I'm a "love machine."
                      Last edited by Iowa_Boy; 06-17-2009, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jorbathehutt View Post
                        My card says Cherokee-Seminole, ...
                        If you have two tribes listed on your CDIB, are you allowed to become citizens of either, or can you only join the nation that your original acestor enrolled in?

jor,

My card says "Chocolate-Creep-Cominatcha." I'm Choctaw, Creek and Comanche.

My friend's card says "Moron." She's Mohawk and Huron.

Comment

Originally posted by whome View Post
                          jor,

my card says "chocolate-creep-cominatcha." i'm choctaw, creek and comanche.

My friend's card says "moron." she's mohawk and huron.

outstanding pvt. Gomer pyle
                          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

Last edited by lbgood; 07-30-2009, 03:48 AM.

Comment

GAAAAW!!! Now we've seen it all!!! Care 2 put a wager on the # of posts b4 the lights come on???
                              "I'd rather be @ a POW-WOW!"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X