"Crown"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Crown"?

My grass dancing son saw a picture of a grass dancer with what looked like a miniature beaded "crown" worn under the front of the roach. He thought it looked cool and thinks he wants one. I think the picture is a few years old and I have never seen anyone wearing one around here.

Have you seen one of these? Is it a past fad that just didn't reach our area or is this something new? I am worried that someone will tease or say something to him about wearing a girl's crown if I make one.

What is your opinion? TIA...

beaded "man crowns"

I used to see them alot more than I do now. Here in Oklahoma they didn't catch on too big but there used to be a few around. I've seen straight dancers, grass dancers, northern traditional, and even fancy dancers wear them. But they do seem to have been a passing fad, starting to fade. Shame too. I really kinda thought they were cool.

Comment

I'm not seeing too many guys wearing that these days...more have cut-out deer hair pieces in the front of the roach.

And yes, he would be teased.

Every person I've known that had one has been asked about the "crown" they're wearing LOL
      I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

I've always hated the things... makes me think of a frickin tiara!!! Not too many in these parts anymore...
        I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Crowns are for princesses.......

Comment

I know guys that still got em. 1 of whom has REAL long hair on his roach, the humidity makes em droop...LOL. So da lil crown helps keep it all in order. I always liked them actually, of course it depends on how theyre made and shaped. Can really round out an outfit beadwork from head to toe.

I like how folks are puttin more designs and things into the hair on dere roaches but I don't have much use for all that. my roaches have always just been one color BECAUSE of trends and fads and such. I have 2 outfits now and more in the works.

Some doods DO make their "crowns" like ACTUAL crowns, too tall, oddly shaped I saw one guy that has one that practically covers his roach up. now THATs just a lil overkill.
            "Out greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."

Comment

I agree - I like the crowns, its really nothing more than a headband with a medalion or a headband with a tip up in the front...

I unfortunatly need to make a new regalia (sucks too, middle of the season) and the headband will be a nice project in itself...

gawd, just reminded me, I need to make new roach pins.... all my fluffs :(
              AIM: GlacierESteffan
              Yahoo: low_rdr
              MSN: [email protected]

Comment

Ya know there was another long forum post on this a while back- maybe a year ago or more, that had a lotta pictures put up on it too......

I think the general consensus is that this trend has come and gone (like pink neckties and leg warmers)

Comment

so whats the next trend beaded eyepatches? j/k
                  "Out greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."

Comment

Originally posted by Dat1NdnGuy View Post
                    AAARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! I be contesting today! Later, where be the wenches and their booty!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGGHHHHH.

Gotta keep up with the style. Crown guys are either behind the times or their roaches are dogs and they need something to hide them behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dat1NdnGuy View Post
                      Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
                      AAARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! I be contesting today! Later, where be the wenches and their booty!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGGHHHHH.

Gotta keep up with the style. Crown guys are either behind the times or their roaches are dogs and they need something to hide them behind.
                      Can I get two eye patches... this way I don't hafta look at those beaded tiaras!!
                      I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Next trend

Fully beaded baseball caps will completely replace the roach!...... seems plain ballcaps are starting to replace the roach anyway except for during contests....

Comment

I can't even bead fast enough to keep up with trends...
                          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Thanks!

I appreciate all the input. I really thought it would be too much, but you know teenagers know EVERYTHING!

Maybe I'll tell him if he wants one, he'll have to bead it himself. In that case, it will never get made! It took long enough just for him to finish making his mocs...

Comment

My son is on his second crown "type". Personally I think it looks keen, and it does seem to keep his roach straight up also. He also likes the extra adornment and I do believe he would like one at all times. But who knows he may change his mind. Until than although it appears to be out of style my son who is a grass dancer chooses that as his personal preferance.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.