Time for a(n) overhaul!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a(n) overhaul!

I'm finally getting started to replace the yoke on my regalia with a fringed shirt and also having time to actually work on my beadwork with the semester ending soon.I have a couple questions though.

How do you go about making a fringed shirt? Do you make panels and sew the fringe to the panels then sew everything to the shirt or do you just applique the shirt itself?

For beadwork, I was wondering if beading my side tabs as well would be a little much? I will be doing all the beadwork for my headband, rosettes, harness, belt, cuffs, and maybe bead choker/collar/tie as well as maybe a new set of moccs as well. I'm looking for as much input as possible.

All help is appreciated.

Originally posted by grass newbie View Post
    I'm finally getting started to replace the yoke on my regalia with a fringed shirt and also having time to actually work on my beadwork with the semester ending soon.I have a couple questions though.

How do you go about making a fringed shirt? Do you make panels and sew the fringe to the panels then sew everything to the shirt or do you just applique the shirt itself?

For beadwork, I was wondering if beading my side tabs as well would be a little much? I will be doing all the beadwork for my headband, rosettes, harness, belt, cuffs, and maybe bead choker/collar/tie as well as maybe a new set of moccs as well. I'm looking for as much input as possible.

All help is appreciated.
    Not sure on the shirt. But i would suppose beading side tabs will get heavy and will slap you while you dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mato-Zi-Win View Post
      Not sure on the shirt. But i would suppose beading side tabs will get heavy and will slap you while you dance.
      I'll tie them down to make sure they don't go anywhere, but then I'd lose my movement
      Or I just think of it as extra weight training.

Loom work or lazy stitch for the accessories? is it just a preference for the dancer or the beader?
      Last edited by grass newbie; 04-18-2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I'll tie them down to make sure they don't go anywhere, but then I'd lose my movement
        Or I just think of it as extra weight training.

Loom work or lazy stitch for the accessories? is it just a preference for the dancer or the beader?
        Loom for the big or long pieces will make the piece cleaner looking.
        CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
        sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
          Loom for the big or long pieces will make the piece cleaner looking.
          I decided on loomwork and will be constructing a custom loom for almost any size beadwork. I just like a nice set of loomwork!

Comment

MY fiance and her mom prefer to use really simple looms, none of that thread separator stuff like you see on the ones you can buy from CrazyCrow. So I built 3 new looms. One is 45 inches long for a total of about 80 inches of bead-work space wrapped around (need thread tails). It's large enough to do the harness and the belt. The other one in the picture is 24 inches for a total of about 40 inches and is good for stuff like braid ties. The third one isn't shown as it has work on it at the moment but it's similar length to the smaller on in the picture but it's wider for things like side tabs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TBlooms new.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	2093959
            sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

That's a really interesting setup, how do you keep the threads lined up on them (unless I'm missing something obvious)? I'd also like to see the wider one for the side tabs which I haven't given much though into beading them but I might as well do it while I'm at it.

Comment

That's a really interesting setup, how do you keep the threads lined up on them (unless I'm missing something obvious)? I'd also like to see the wider one for the side tabs which I haven't given much though into beading them but I might as well do it while I'm at it.
                The threads are wrapped and the spacing is created when you insert a row of beads so the beads create the spacing.

We like this style because as you bead and you want to pull down the piece you can do it without snagging the strings on those stupid spring like spreaders. This way prevents you from having to move up the loom as you bead.
                Last edited by Toolbox; 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

You can also use strapping tape (clear tape with the fibers running conveniently at a beads-width apart) to keep your threads separated, and keep them from sliding on slippery wood.
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

Thank y'all for all the help, I really appreciate it! I will have to look into the tape once I find time after my other work to really get crackin' on everything.
                    And I'll have to get to work on making my loom while also finishing up my design.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X