New to grass!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to grass!

Hey guys, I am startig out with grass dancing!I'm talking brand new, out of the womb grass dancer..... I have always wanted to grass dance but just never had time to make the regalia. I danced men's traditional for a while but I was recently gifted a grass outfit. It's pretty plain, but I'm trying to spruse it up a bit... Below will be a video of me dancing it at my house and I'd like some of you experienced dancers to talk to me about it. Don't be rude, but please give me some advice. I have watched the grass guys since I started dancing and drumming and I've picked up most of my dance from them. So, here it is.... please he easy on me! grass dance- take 1 - YouTube

Very nice!! the footwork is vey good.
    Asema Is Sacred
    Traditional Use, Not Misuse
    Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
    OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Originally posted by White Powwow Dancer View Post
      Very nice!! the footwork is vey good.
      Is it really? I feel like it's sloppy, but I'm known to be a bit too hard on myself... thank you for your comment, too! It means a lot!

Comment

In my opinion I am not a grass dancer but the same I have sort of wanted to go that route from northern traditional but I think your foot work is great but you need to own it... What I mean is feel it get into it I feel a if u are scared but you need to make it yours let your heart do the dancing... And practice practice practice I remember when I started northern traditional everyday I was out there practicing... But you are on the right track just feel it and do... A great grass dancer you may want to watch is Adam nordwall really good grass dancer in my opinion..
        "Do not judge a man unless you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Comment

Originally posted by Highwolf89 View Post
          In my opinion I am not a grass dancer but the same I have sort of wanted to go that route from northern traditional but I think your foot work is great but you need to own it... What I mean is feel it get into it I feel a if u are scared but you need to make it yours let your heart do the dancing... And practice practice practice I remember when I started northern traditional everyday I was out there practicing... But you are on the right track just feel it and do... A great grass dancer you may want to watch is Adam nordwall really good grass dancer in my opinion..
          In truth, I was a little scared, I have a lot of small dips and snake holes in my yard and my knee.. well, in short.. isn't great. More than that though, I hate cameras... I just recorded it this time so I could see myself and get suggestions from here. I went out and practiced for about 2 hours today and I can already feel a small confidence boost while twisting and turning. I am going to grass dance at a small pow wow tomorrow morning and my knee will be wrapped REALLY good so I am not worried about it. The drum really helps me feel the dance a lot more too. THis was just off of a CD in crappy speakers. Wish me luck!!
          Last edited by SsmalltownNDN; 06-08-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

So how did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by Highwolf89 View Post
              So how did it go?
              It was something I NEVER forget! I started out a little bit stiff due to not wanting to mess up my knee but then after I tested it a bit, I let loose! During the Grass Specialty, all 3 of us were given money. towards the end, I just let the spirit of the drum flow through me and apparently you could tell because I have never heard so many war cries and chants in my entire life! Bottom line, I am hooked on grass dancing!!

Comment

Nice congrats good to hear

Comment

Originally posted by SsmalltownNDN View Post
                  It was something I NEVER forget! I started out a little bit stiff due to not wanting to mess up my knee but then after I tested it a bit, I let loose! During the Grass Specialty, all 3 of us were given money. towards the end, I just let the spirit of the drum flow through me and apparently you could tell because I have never heard so many war cries and chants in my entire life! Bottom line, I am hooked on grass dancing!!
                  Very nice!! I sould get out the way when are you comming around the bend.
                  Asema Is Sacred
                  Traditional Use, Not Misuse
                  Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
                  OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X