Grass Dance "boing boing" construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass Dance "boing boing" construction

Greetings! I am in need of information on how to construct the "boing boings" for the headwear of the male Grass Dancer. Sorry, I do not know any other name for them. They are the fluff feathers with piano wire that bounce with the dancer's movement. Thanks for any information!

Originally posted by granco145 View Post
    Greetings! I am in need of information on how to construct the "boing boings" for the headwear of the male Grass Dancer. Sorry, I do not know any other name for them. They are the fluff feathers with piano wire that bounce with the dancer's movement. Thanks for any information!
    Instrument wire, like piano wire or thick bass guitar string (.145ga used for the B in a 5 string bass), is great because it consists of a corrosion resistant wire wrapped around a solid core. Instrument wire is also designed to flex and bend a bit. Most are either brass or nickle coated and are fairly light.

I've heard of others using solid wire stock from hardware stores but unless it's coated they will corrode (rust) easily.

I like the idea of bike brake cable too - never thought of it before.
    sigpic

Comment

What Amigo said, thick piano wire. Also think about thread wrapping the exposed portion of the wire in various colors (chosen from the colors on the outfit). The thread will add some color and give the wire just a bit more rigidity as you wouldn't want the antennae whipping down into the person's face if they bob their head or bounce hard
      CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
      sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

I thought choke springs/cable were traditional, LOL.

Comment

Echo Effect

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
          What Amigo said, thick piano wire.

I copied that from one of YOUR posts on another grass spreader thread
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
            Link it! I don't remember seeing it!
            sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
              Link it! I don't remember seeing it!
              sigpic

Comment

Derp!
                sigpic

Comment

Geeze! I'd forget my head if it weren't for the fact that it is super glued onto my torso!
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm assuming he wants something like these?

Comment

Originally posted by grass newbie View Post

I'm assuming he wants something like these?
                      Yes, exactly!

Comment

Ah, ok. Just making sure. Assuming you're trying to assemble the fluffs and attach to the wire (or spring, whatever you're using)?

Comment

Originally posted by grass newbie View Post
                          Ah, ok. Just making sure. Assuming you're trying to assemble the fluffs and attach to the wire (or spring, whatever you're using)?
                          you've got me figured out! How long should the wire be? How do you suggest attaching it to the spreader? Thanks for any information! Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by granco145 View Post
                            you've got me figured out! How long should the wire be? How do you suggest attaching it to the spreader? Thanks for any information! Much appreciated.
                            I would make the wire long enough (I don't know what kind of wire you plan on using) long enough to make the fluffs able to bob with a full motion, but make sure they don't flop down an hit your face . And attaching it to the spreader? I can't help ya there, I'm still experimenting with making them stay upright. But, I'm using a zip tie to secure it in this picture. If anyone has any input, much appreciated!

Comment

One possibility, as the pdf that Olchemist linked to suggests, is to use one really long length of wire and make a "U" shape and pass it through the holes. If you are using a leather spreader then you can use a glover's needle and sew through the spreader and around the wire and that would bond the wire to the leather - the roach base would cushion your head from the wire.

If you are using a metal spreader then thats a whole different story. The only suggestion I can say for metal is to coat the bottom parts of the wire, being the section that is out of sight and the section that is touching the metal, in lacquer or urethane to prevent possible galvanic corrosion from damaging the metal spreader. If you are looking to attach the wire to the spreader full time you can try to solder it, but that is entirely dependent on the type of metals in use and your knowledge and skill with soldering equipment.
                              sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X