Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Grassdancers dance the Chicken Dance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Grassdancers dance the Chicken Dance?

Yesterday at the Pow Wow, I was dancing the Chicken Dance in my Grass Regalia (I was pretty good, If I can say so). I keep hearing mixed messages on the Chicken Dance. Is the Chicken Dance only for Traditional Dancers?

Let the Chicken Dancers Chicken dance. Sometimes at a pow wow, Chicken Dance songs will be sung for Grass or even Traditional. So it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jed
      Let the Chicken Dancers Chicken dance. Sometimes at a pow wow, Chicken Dance songs will be sung for Grass or even Traditional. So it happens.
      ___

Hypothetical question (requesting hypothetical answer):

If a straight dancer travelled to Blackfoot country and they stuck him in the traditional dance catagory and sang a chicken dance song . . .

Do you think he would be a chicken to chicken dance?
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

To Chicken or not to Chicken

Well, as a grassdancer, I have danced to chicken dance songs during contests. In my mind, chicken dancing is halfway between grass and tradish dancing. It has elements of both dances in it and but yet has it's own style. So with me, I can dance the chicken if it is sung for me but other than that, I leave it to the chigg'n dancers to do the chigg'n dance. AHO!

"Dance me outside...??"

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
          ___

If a straight dancer travelled to Blackfoot country and they stuck him in the traditional dance catagory and sang a chicken dance song . . .

LMIAO
          I Was Indian Before Being Indian Was Cool!! There's Plenty Of Room For All God's Creatures. Right Next To The Mashed Potatoes!!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
            ___

:rofl2: Good one

Another question.- If a smoke dancer did the chicken dance, would that be "smoked chicken"?

Yet another - If a young Slick dancer did a chicken dance would he be a "slick chick"? :duhh: ever cheap! Go back to bed, Kiwehnzii.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii

Another question.- If a smoke dancer did the chicken dance, would that be "smoked chicken"?

Yet another - If a young Slick dancer did a chicken dance would he be a "slick chick"? :duhh: ever cheap! Go back to bed, Kiwehnzii.
              Okay Mrs Ki better stop putting tacks in your cereal - cause you're just too sharp this morning! :rofl2:

Comment

*laughing* or if a chiggin dancer dances tenderly is he then a *chiggin tender*?

I don't dance chicken when those songs do because I don't know the history or the songs really. But I don't think i'm being dissrespectful when I walk off. I hope I'm not.

Comment

Adding to the nonsense . . .

If a chicken dancer, licked his lips while his number was being taken and all the judges scored him with first place votes . . .

Would he be . . .

"Chicken lickin' GOOD?"

Comment

So if a white guy dances chicken - is he "skin"less chicken?

Comment

WHAT IF . . . WHAT IF ....

What if your grandma had a beard? Then would she be your grandpa?

Comment

Good ones. I like the skin-less chicken one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwehnzii

You're on a roll Ki! I cracked up when I saw the Slick chick comment. Too Funny! :rofl2:

Comment

Maaaaaaan, yall had me laughin so hard I was over here hacking-n-wheezing. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: LOLOLOL
                            SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

:Thinking so if only guys dance it... why didn't they call it rooster dance? Or the c...never mind. :Blush Yeah.. chicken is good.
                              "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.