angora anklets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• angora anklets

Is it ok to make these anklets out of white yarn from wal-mart? and is it ok to put bells underneath the anklets that way they are not visible?
    Even YOU can change!

Why make them out of yarn? I don't think that would look very good. It certainly wouldn't look like angora. It would look like a traditional dancer trying to be a grass dancer.

As for having the bells under the yarn...... It looks like that would be a tangled mess to me. Why hide the bells?

Angora (or icelandic sheep) is not that expensive, especially for traditional dancers. Just go with the real thing.
    If you are what you eat.... I'm fast, cheap and easy.

Comment

I agree with bwhite!!! Nocbay sells "Traditional Men's Anklet Kets" for $12.50/per kit. It comes with everything you need and instructions. I think this kit is alot better than the one Crazy Crow sells for about the same price.

I know you are just starting out and want to get your outfit done as quick as possible. These things take a lot of serious time to put together. Especially if you are doing beaded sets. Take the time to do it right, you will not only look better, but you will feel better about what you are wearing.

Check out www.nocbay.com and www.crazycrow.com
      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
      -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

I am thinking of buying the real angora skin that crazy crow sales, but I don't know how to cut it and set it up for a fancy dancer. can someone give some help?

Comment

Originally posted by ralrey1
          I am thinking of buying the real angora skin that crazy crow sales, but I don't know how to cut it and set it up for a fancy dancer. can someone give some help?
          go to the fancy dance thread and ask around. they would be the better people to answer that.

Comment

and i agree with be white. if you going for the angora look the use the real thing. it's not that expensive. and i looks alot better.

and if you put the bells under yarn and/or angora, you'll more then likely get them stuck together in knots

Comment

changing subject slightly

I recently obtained an angora hide, to make anklets with. I cut the strips out for my anklets, brushed out some of the nap, and now when I put them on, it look slike I have poodles on my feet. The hair will not lay down at all, and poofs up way too much! I think I'm going to have to wash them, but I don't know what good that will do honestly.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the hair to lay a little flatter, so it doesn't look like a shoved my foot in a poodle?
              Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Quick to judge,
              Quick to anger,
              Slow to understand
              Ignorance and prejudice
              And fear walk hand in hand.
              --Neal Peart(from the song Witch Hunt)

Comment

perhaps you could press them? like on warm/and a towl of some sort in between?
                I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

ya ... dampen them maybe and let them air dry?!? ... sounds like a good an occurrance of when some gets a perm and brushes it out .. you get instant carrot top head LOL. only thing i can think of to make them not so .. poofy
                  Watch your broken dreams...
                  Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

I was just told, also, that it might have been the brush I was using. I was told that using a brush with stiff tines, like that used on a dog's comb would be better than the brush I was using. So, I'll be trying the comb first. If that doesn't work, I'll try the damp cloth and iron idea (which never occurred to me), if that doesn't work, I'll try the dampening them and pressing them, and so on, until the last step I'll try will be to completely wet them down and air dry them flat.

If that doesn't work, I'll just deal with it. Any other ideas will be accepted. I'll post my before an after photos, if I can.

Thanks for the ideas, folks.
                    Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Quick to judge,
                    Quick to anger,
                    Slow to understand
                    Ignorance and prejudice

Comment

Heat and moisture is a bad idea when trying to 'de-poof' angora hair. Let this serve as a warning for others.

Heat an moisture combined made rawhide with fur still attached. The soft skin the fur was attached to actually shrunk, stiffened, and hardened all in about 10 seconds with a damp cloth over the hair and an iron (no steam) being applied to the damp towel. So, that didn't work.

I was fortunate I hadn't just bought a kit or something and actually had more hide available. After creating a second anklet I tried using a watered-down frizz-ease product my wife uses on the kids when their hair gets tangled, etc. Using a hard plastic comb and the frizz-ease seemed to be the trick.

It appears the main reason for the poofiness was the vast amount of hair in the skin that was no longer attached. I combed and combed and combed for at least an hour on each anklet before I could run the comb though without pulling more hair out. And combing in the detangler/frizz remover appears to have kept the hair from poofing out again after brushing. I also rolled the anklets up and wrapped them up tight.
                      Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Quick to judge,
                      Quick to anger,
                      Slow to understand
                      Ignorance and prejudice

Comment

Originally posted by scottlollar View Post
                        I recently obtained an angora hide, to make anklets with. I cut the strips out for my anklets, brushed out some of the nap, and now when I put them on, it look slike I have poodles on my feet. The hair will not lay down at all, and poofs up way too much! I think I'm going to have to wash them, but I don't know what good that will do honestly.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the hair to lay a little flatter, so it doesn't look like a shoved my foot in a poodle?

*L Nothing beats good ol' goat hair!!!
                        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

It's hair. Why not treat it like hair? Just get some styling creme and apply sparingly until it does what you want.
                          "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                          Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Originally posted by scottlollar View Post

Maybe you rigged them upside-down.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                              Maybe you rigged them upside-down.
                              JD's prolly right. Hey JD..........any good pow-wows down there in S. Cali first part of August?
                              "I'd rather be @ a POW-WOW!"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X