Need help with feather care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with feather care

Ok folks here's my problem, I received I nice handpainted fan to dance with. It looks as if the feathers are drying out, is there anyway make the more natural without destroying them? I 've heard of using Skin So SOft on real feathers but can I use it or anything else on hand paints? Thanks
    Jery

Dried Feathers

That is a good question and I am sure many have not thought about that. All Feathers need moisture (we must remember that they were once living tissue). When my Feathers are looking drawn I have a few things that I do.

1. I have a rather large cedar box that I keep sanding and sanding to allow the cedar oil to actually leak some. I put the feathers in that with a damp cloth for a few days or even weeks.

2. I steam my feathers often with a really good steam iron and steamer. I mentioned in early threads about Feathers that it is good to bite the bullet and just get a really good steam iron or steamer

3. In heavy humidity I pack my Feathers with those silica gel packs and in dry humidity I pack my Feathers with damp packets.

Hope that this helps.

Comment

I got some tips

You should try leave-in-conditioner on them, I also wash loose feathers in Downy. But don't use anything with alcohols or other chemicals that dry things out. I use the leave-in-conditioner on my roach as well and put my roach away with broad cloth then the tensor bandage (the elastic cuts the hair) Oils on the other hand tend to attract dust at the dusty of dusty pow-wows, I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

feather care

You might want to try using a small hypo needle like they use for diabetics loaded with your fav essential oil.I use cedar because it helps with keeping the bugs away when you store your bustle,fan.roach pin and other feather items.I also have a cedar bustle box lined with red felt which i store my feathers in and then place under my bed.this helps to keep things nice and net as well as free from dust and any other things that will damage the feathers.
        Doksha
        Paul Flores
        " MY RICE CRISPYS TALK TO ME"

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X